Chapter 53 (Mare POV)

The first thing they ask for is a tour of the grounds. Apparently in Piedmont, everything is so close together that they don't have yards or gardens, so they're here to relish in ours. Maven and I take them through hedge mazes and rose gardens, spouting rehearsed bits about the history of Norta as we go. The princes seem impressed by how much I know what I'm doing and saying. I would be offended, but they have every right to be. I've been in the palace for less than six months. I used to be a commoner. And I was part of the rebellion that almost toppled this government. We take them inside for a tour of the palace itself. I leave that to Maven and go outside to meet the ambassador. One of the princes said he would be a little late. I see him walking up the steps and rush to greet him.
"Mr. Ambassador, it's a pleasure to meet you." He takes my hand a shakes it, hard. He's tall and looks almost twice my size. His hair is messy, a clear contrast to his pressed suit and tie. When he smiles, lines appear around his eyes and mouth. He reminds me of my dad.
"The pleasure's all mine, Queen Mareena. Sorry if I kept you waiting. I was taking some time to visit some of your lovely local people. I tend to be a very hands on ambassador." I smile back at him.
"Of course, that's not a problem at all. Follow me inside." I hold the door for him and we step into the entrance hall. I take him to meet Maven and the princes up in the palace library. So far, everything's going well. And if we continue exactly as planned, hopefully it will stay that way.

Yes hi I'm back from the dead. I know it's been a while but I've really been busy with school and other activities. Somehow I've just been really pressed for time. Sorry for the short, poor quality chapters. I'm really trying to write as much as I can. Thank you guys for 8k! 😘 and thanks for reading! - Just Jules

P.S. I know it's sort of weird to introduce a new character so late in the story, but the ambassador will be an important part of the plot I promise.