Chapter 45 (Mare POV)

"We should invite the King of Piedmont, his daughter, and the ambassador for some kind of ball or festival. Perhaps we could construct an alliance there?"
"I like how you think Queen Mareena, but how would we play that off as casual? Our intentions would be clear from day one," says Maven's main advisor. I pause and think for a second. All eyes in the room are on me.
"I don't think it needs to be casual. If we're friendly and calm about it, reaching out to them with the intention of an alliance shouldn't be an issue. They want an alliance with us as much as we want one with them. We could maybe..." I'm cut off by the doors opening and Maven entering the room. Everyone stands up. I had arranged for all the officials to meet here early so we could assemble a plan to present to Maven. But apparently he found out. I expect him to yell and throw me out but he doesn't. Instead he sits down at the head of the table and motions for us to do the same.
"Continue Queen Mareena." I stand up and stumble over my first few words in shock before finding my confidence again.
"Yes well, if we invite the government of Piedmont to a ball and house and feed them for a few days, they'll be able to see that these rebel attacks pose no real threat to our government and that we have everything completely under control. Once they realize that, I'm sure an alliance, marriage or otherwise won't be far behind." The rooms applauds and I take my seat. They seem content, even happy, with my idea. But I'm not. I've become the very person I used to fight against. I might have Red blood, but everything I just said could convince anyone I was Silver.

Hey guys. I owe you a chapter today so here it is. Short I know, but I'm writing this as I go so it's hard to come up with so much plot quickly. Thanks for reading! - Just Jules