Chapter 25 (Mare POV)

Maven has sent for me to come to his office. I'm reluctant to go. For all I know he's found a more obedient bride and I'm getting kicked out. Or maybe he's gonna ask me to back one of his insane ideas about the military. Or he just wants to talk to me like he said in the letter he sent. Apparently when you want to talk to someone in a palace but you're too lazy to find them, you have servents send letters back and forth. I push open the doors and step inside, quickly shutting the doors behind me. Maven's sitting at his desk, bent over a bunch of official looking papers. A closer look reveals that he has clear under eye circles and he seems more tired than usual.
"You wanted to speak with me King Maven?" He nods and motions with he head for me to take a seat. I do.
It's about ten minutes before Maven puts aside his papers and decides to address me. The look in his eyes seems like a mix of anger, exhaustion, and something I can barely detect, but I can see that it's there, sadness. He sighs before mumbling something I can't understand.
"I'm sorry what was that Your Majesty? I couldn't quite understand you." Maven looks up at me before repeating himself in the most monotone voice I've ever heard.
"I'm inviting Tiberias Calore to dine with us this weekend. I think you should work out whatever you have going on with him before we move forward with this mess we call a marriage. I've sent him an invite to which he has not yet responded. I will notify you when he does. I hope that's okay with you." I nod to signify that's fine. " And that's all I needed. Thank you Queen Mareena." And there's my cue to leave. I quickly stand up and slip out the door before I can even process what he said. Cal's coming for dinner? Why would Maven do that? Will Cal decide to come? And if he does, how the hell will I survive a meal with the love of my life and my husband?

Sry the formats kinda weird I wrote this on my phone on a plane. Anyway here's the first of hopefully a bunch of chapters I will publish this week. Thx so much for reading! - Just Jules

Update: I just found a bunch of typos in this chapter sry about that I didn't edit as well as I thought I did