Chapter 34 (Maven POV)

I sent a servant to get Cal out of his shared room with Victoria. I'm waiting for him in the library. The door opens and shuts and then I hear Cal speak.
"What is it now? Come to rub it in my face? I get it. You won. You're King. You have Mare. You're living the life I always wanted. Why are we going through this again?"
"Can you think about something other than you and me for one second?" I'm gonna lose it. This isn't about him. I take a deep breath before explaining.
"This is about our country. I need you here to figure out whatever's going on with you and Mare, but I also need to talk to you about a matter of national importance. It's urgent." Cal's face turns somber. It's almost as if he knows what I'm about to say.
"You're gonna ask about a marriage alliance right?"
"Yes, but hear me out. Piedmont is angry. They won't tolerate our little rebellions anymore. There are bigger enemies out there. Piedmont used to be one of our closest allies. Without an alliance, we risk falling to another nation with no support from Piedmont. I know it's a lot to ask but just consider it. You know it's just a piece of paper anyway. She'll stay in Piedmont and you'll stay here with Victoria. Please, if not for your nation, do it for Mare. When our enemies attack, her and I will be the first to go." He narrows his eyes at me before opening his mouth.
"Get your alliance somewhere else. Why would I sell my life away to the government that believes I'm a traitor and a murderer? I wouldn't, and I'm not going to. As for Mare, she's not only smart, but tougher than you'll ever be. She'll be fine. You can find somebody else to do your bidding Maven. I'm done." And with that, he walks out of the library, slamming the door behind him.

What the hell can I do now to keep my country from falling apart? Is it worth giving up power to someone else? Specifically Cal? If I surrender the throne, make a deal with him for the safety of my people, would we be able to fix this? I don't know. And I'm not sure if I have the patience to find out.

Thx for reading guys! Apologies for any typos.    - Just Jules