Chapter 33 (Mare POV)

Friends? What's that supposed to mean? I know I asked but I expected something else. I can work with friends. It'll hurt, but I guess I can try. As I step back into the great hall with Maven and Victoria, I notice that Maven has this look of incredible discomfort all over his face. Victoria stops in the middle of her sentence when she sees me.
"How lovely for you to join us again, Your Majesty," she says, bowing her head slightly. I honestly don't know how much longer I can put up with this girl. I've done what Maven wanted me to, I talked to Cal. We should probably have worked out more than what we did, but it's a start. So I'm gonna check out for the day.
"Thank you Victoria. But I think I'm actually going to head up to bed. I'm so happy you could join us for dinner tonight and that you'll be stay with us this weekend." I slap a fake smile on my face before retreating to the elevator. Once I'm in my room, I slam the door behind me. I need to know that I'm as far from her as possible. Spending prolonged time with Victoria feels toxic.
I hear Victoria and Cal pass my room as I lay awake thinking. Victoria's laughing while Cal stays silent. As the continue down the hall, I can't help but wonder if this is going to be okay. Because we talked it out, but he never mentioned her. I don't know anything about her. I don't know how he feels about her. But I definitely know how I feel. She's got to go.

Thx for reading 😘   - Just Jules