Chapter 5 (Mare POV)

We step onto Maven's ship. He goes over to the guards and whispers something I can't hear. Then he grabs my hand leads me over towards my new room on the ship. When we get there he sits down on the bed and motions for me to sit next to him. There's an awkward silence before he starts to speak.
"Mare, I know you would probably be anywhere but here with me right now. I can sense it, your energy, you're nervous. Don't worry, things won't get too personal until the wedding."
"And when's that gonna be? Also do I have like, rules or anything? I'd like to know them now before I inevitably break them all." He looks over at me and his face has gone dead serious.
"There aren't rules. I'm gonna be your husband, not your jailer. You can leave the palace when you want and have all the rights of a queen. All I ask, is that you try your best to make this a real relationship. It shouldn't feel like a cage."
I'm totally shocked. I had expected more rules and yelling and "Do whatever I tell you to or the war continues!" I didn't expect him to want an actual relationship. Maybe I can use this to my advantage.
"What about seeing Cal?" Maven pauses and puts his head in his hands. When he looks back up at me, I can almost see the conflict behind his eyes.
"Listen Mare, I want to trust you, I really do. But I've seen the way you look at him. And I've seen the way he looks at you. I don't know if we could maintain a healthy marriage if you run off with my brother every other week. And I do care about you Mare. I don't want this to be a deal or a trade. I want you. I know you don't want me, but I think that you did once and that you can again."
I turn away from him, hiding my tears. I can't help thinking that he might be right and just thinking that, I feel as if I'm betraying Cal. "Can you leave, King Maven? I need some time to myself."
"Take all the time you need. I'll be outside in the hall." He stands up and leaves. I fall back on the bed and lose myself to tears.

Hope u guys r having a good break. Thought I'd update bc I have some extra time.