Chapter 32 (Cal POV)

The silence is unbearable. You could probably cut the air between us with a knife. It feels so wrong. Once we're out of Maven and Victoria's view, she turns around and looks me dead in the eye.
"How did we end up here?" The question rugs in my ears for a second. How did we get here? It wasn't long ago that we were traveling together with Mare's family and the Scarlet Guard, searching for new-bloods. In fact, it's only been a little over two months.
"I have no idea. But it doesn't feel like anything's gonna change soon." She nods.
"I guess so." There's that silence again.
"Mare, do you still love me?"
"Of course, why would you even ask that?" But she hesitated. And that slight hesitation is all I needed to hear.
"I guess I just needed to hear it from you."
"Where do we go from here Cal?" I sigh. To be completely honest, I have no clue what we're gonna do or how we're gonna fix this.
"I guess we wait. You have a husband. Your husband is my brother. My brother is the king. I'm a social outcast banished by the royal family I used to belong to. We obviously have some stuff to work out." She nods but I know she wishes there was a faster easier way.
"So for now we're, just friends? Acquaintances? Enemies? Strangers?" Again, I have no answer for her.
"If you're willing to attempt a friendship, so am I."
"Sure. I'm okay with that." We stand there for a second before she leans in and gives me a quick kiss on the cheek before returning down the hall.

Writing this was unbearably hard. Idk I wish I could write more cute scenes but everything's going not good rn. Hopefully I can fix it. - Just Jules