Chapter 9 (Mare POV)

Three weeks pass quickly. Maven and I attempt to wedding plan but it always ends with one of us giving up and making excuses to leave. I spend most of my time with my ladies-in-waiting and trying to avoid Maven. We have one week before the wedding and it's time for the official news broadcast to go out. My main lady-in-waiting, Jane, has picked out a stunning red dress for me. She insists that I look gorgeous, but looking in the mirror, I don't look like me. She's done my lips a bright red color and has fixed me with ruby earrings and a matching necklace. "Be proud to be Red," she says, "Don't try to hide it."
I step out the door to see Maven standing there. He's wearing a blue suit with a black tie. As soon as he sees me, his jaw drops.
"Mareena," he says, "you look beautiful."
"You don't have to sound so surprised, King Maven," I joke, "But thank you. You look very handsome." He thanks me and offers me his arm. I take it. Even if I don't love him, I really do care about him and want to make him happy.
Maven brings me so a small room where we are going to film the broadcast. We sit down facing a large camera as Maven starts looking over a piece of paper.
"Remember Mare, this is a live broadcast so if either of us screw up, everyone can see." I nod in response. From behind a camera, a crew member counts us in. The bright lights hit us and I have to squint to see. Maven has started his broadcast with the usually news. He talks about security of Norta and about foreign relations. Then he turns to me.
"Tonight, I have the pleasure to announce that I will be getting married to Lady Mareena. Most of you would know her as the Red girl who pretended to be a lost noble to get close to the royal family. In reality, some members of the royal family thought it would be best to hide her away so no one would know that Reds can have powers. She cares about me very much and I care about her. With our marriage, we will end the war between Silvers and Reds. Our wedding will be in one week. I hope that she will bring you as much joy as she brings me, as your first Red queen of Norta." I smile at Maven and then at the camera. The bright lights turn off and Maven stands up.
"Come on Mare," he says, "I have a surprise for you." He takes my hand and leads me to the main hall. Standing there are two women. They're looking around at the palace in amazement. As I get closer, I see that it's Mom and Gisa. I run to them and pull them into a tight hug.
"How? Why? What are you guys doing here?" I sputter. I'm glad to see them but I have no clue why Maven would bring them here. Gisa is the first one to speak.
"The king wanted us to help you pick out a wedding dress. It's sort of a tradition that the bride has her female friends and family with her when she chooses." My mom nods. She's still in awe of the grandeur of the palace. I turn back to Maven.
"You brought them here?" He nods and smiles.
"I thought you might need some help. Considering your fashion sense, I'm glad they're here. You should be too." I laugh and thank him.
"The royal designer is waiting for you at the end of that corridor," he says, pointing down a long hallway, "Tell her to get me when you've decided. I'd like to see." I thank him again and turn back to my mom and sister. We start walking down the hallway. There's an awkward silence as I never told them about my decision to marry Maven.
"I'm really..." I start but my mom stops me.
"What's done is done, Mare. Don't worry about it. You did what you needed to." I hug her and I know that she understands.
We enter the designer's room. Sitting in a chair is a small, middle-aged woman. She motions for us to take a seat.
"So Mare, I'm Ms. Ferraro. What do you see yourself in for your wedding? Style, material, anything specific you could see yourself in. What would you look like at your perfect wedding?"
I consider her question for a bit. I can't picture getting married, let alone in a wedding dress, without Cal next to me. I think about my mom's wedding dress and what she wore. She had shown Gisa and I her dress before. It was long-sleeved, covered in lace, and very conservative. I didn't want that. What I really wanted was something that would make me look like I belonged in the palace, next to Maven, even if I didn't feel that way.
"I don't really know. I never thought about it before. Probably something form-fitting. I definitely want something strapless, probably with a sweetheart neckline. No lace or color. Probably some bling, like a belt or something. I'm not really sure." Ms. Ferraro nods and stands up.
"I'll be right back with some options." She rushes through a door and slams in behind her. A few minutes later, she's back. She's holding about three or four dresses.
"Come with me to the changing room. She opens another door and I follow her. She hangs up the dresses asks me which one I like the most.
"Umm... I don't know. Probably the one to the far left?" She pulls it off the hanger and starts pulling my clothes off. She tugs the dress over my head and starts tying it in the back. It's a tight dress with a bling belt. It's strapless but the neckline fits weird and I don't know about the material. It's scratching my sides and I can't really concentrate on anything else.
"Let's go show them," she says. She picks up my train and opens the door. I step through to the larger room where I see Gisa and my mom. Gisa stares, her mouth hanging open.
"Wow Mare, I'd never thought I'd say this but, you actually look like a princess. Maybe even like a queen." My mom nods in agreement. I can't see myself but I know I'm blushing. I turn back to Ms. Ferraro, who has set up a full-length mirror behind me. The dress looks good, maybe even royal, but I just can't see myself getting married in it. I shake my head and Ms. Ferraro picks up my train and leads me back into the changing room.
I try on dress after dress and none of them feel right. There's always something wrong. Finally, Ms. Ferraro lets me go into the dress room myself to find my own dress. She has been pulling tight, form-fitting dresses the entire time and nothing's worked so I want to try something else. I find a ballgown with a huge train. It's got a sweetheart neckline and tons of bling. I hand it the Ms. Ferraro and she looks confused at first but then she pulls it over my head. I fits perfectly. When I look in the mirror, I really look and feel like a queen. I picture Cal beside me in a tuxedo, his hair done and the little smirk he would give me as I walked up the aisle. I can't help it; I start to cry. Just thinking about him being here makes me want to start sobbing. Ms. Ferraro sees me wipe a tear from my eye and nods.
"That's the one," she says, "You look absolutely stunning, I can't think of you looking better," She picks up a veil and places it on my head.
"Let's go show your mom and sister." We step out of the changing room and Maven is standing there, talking to my sister. My mom is playing with the hem of her shirt. They all stop when they see me.
"Mare," Maven gasps, stepping towards me, "you look gorgeous. Everything is perfect. I couldn't imagine it looking better on anyone." He takes my hand. I politely slip it out of his grip.
"Thank you." I step over to show the dress to my mom and Gisa. They're still in awe. Gisa stands up and hugs me.
"You look amazing," she whispers in my ear,"Just own it." My mom stand up and hugs me too. She's crying. I can tell she always thought that I'd marry some local Red boy and that I'd stay near her and Dad forever. Thinking about it make me start to cry too.
"It's okay Mom, I'll visit all the time to come annoy you and Dad. Don't worry." We untwine and I look back at Ms. Ferraro.
"I think this one will work quite well," I laugh, "Do you think it needs to be altered?" Ms. Ferraro shakes her head.
"No, it fits perfectly. Jane will bring it to you in your room the morning of the wedding." I walk over to her and give her a hug.
"Thank you so much. It's perfect." I move back to the changing rooms to slip out of my dress. When I come back out, Maven has left.
"The king said he really regrets it, but he has an important meeting to attend and he'll see you at dinner," Gisa says. I walk over and hug her.
"Thank you for being here Gee. It really means a lot to me."
"No problem, Mare, I'm your sister, we're here for each other." I pull away from her and move to my mom.
"Mom, I love you so much and I'm so happy I got to see you today. Thank you for being okay with this and understanding that I really had no other choice." She pulls me into a hug.
"Don't worry Baby, everything will work out, we understand. I love you, but don't ever forget who you are, okay?" I nod. A guard knocks on the door and enters to escort Gisa and my mom out. I wave to them as they walk away. I hope and pray that after the wedding, I'll still see them again.

This chapter's really long, sorry. I couldn't find a good way to cut it in half.