Chapter 19 (Mare POV)

Two weeks later

The past weeks have been awful. Maven has been attempting to teach me politics and about how to run a country, but I can barely look him in the eye after everything that happened on our wedding night. I still can barely sit through one of his lectures because I can't see how they help anyone. He's running a nation from inside the walls of a palace. If I could make a decision, it would be for us to go to the people. Talk to them about changes they want. Being a good queen is everything to me now because it's the only thing I can do to take my mind off Cal. I sit in the royal library making financial plans and trying to plan out charities but as soon as Maven brings up anything, I have to play dumb because I disagree with almost everything he's planning to do. I wish I could talk to him about it but after the deep conversations we've tried to have in the past, I don't really think it would be the best idea.
I decide to try and call Cal today. I don't know where he went after the wedding or where he is now. He said that it wasn't our time yet. Does he think that our time will come? What if he's with someone else? What if he's moving so far away, I'll never see him again? I can't stop worrying that the moment we shared on the night of the wedding will be the last time I see him. I pick up my phone and type in his number. It rings only once before I hear his voicemail message. His phone if probably off or something. Or maybe he's blocked me.

He doesn't want to talk to me.

He's moved on.

He doesn't love me.

Maybe he never did.

What will I do without him?

so this chapter should've been out like 2 days ago sry about that. Busy schedule rn so updates are harder. Thx for reading!      -Just Jules