Chapter 40 (Maven POV)

One Month Later
I still can't believe that she decided to make him leave. It's been a month, and it still shocks me. I can't figure out why she would do it. I can only assume it's something personal that I have no reason to know about. So I'll concern myself with other things. Mainly, whoever this Victoria is. Everything in me is screaming that she has something going on. Maybe she's plotting something behind the backs of the government, maybe she's just nervous and shifty around new people. But whatever it is, I need it to be covered so I can focus on pulling a marriage alliance out of thin air. I'm planning on sending a team of spies and experts to her home town and another team to follow her and Cal. They'll report back to me with any relevant information, and I'll figure out what she's up to. It sounds crazy and suspicious, but when you're family has been hated by Reds for centuries, you learn to pick up on little things when someone might have something against the royal family. And I saw almost all of those things in Victoria. I'm not trying to be paranoid. All I want to to protect Mare, my staff, and myself.

Short chapter sorry. As always, excuse the typos, this was written pretty quickly. Thanks for reading! - Just Jules