Chapter 31 (Maven POV)

I can see Mare clench her fists when she notices Cal and Victoria holding hands. Whenever Victoria talks, I watch the anger flash across her face. She's good at hiding it, but I've learned how to read her. We talk about politics, family business, the economy. Mare disagrees with every statement out of Victoria's mouth while I attempt to mediate and stop an all out war. Cal stays silent for the most part, which is unlike my brother. He barely eats when the food comes out and spends most of the dinner staring either at Mare or just off into space. The way he's acting makes me think that maybe taking Mare wasn't what was meant to happen. Because he looks miserable without her. And although we've never had an amazing relationship, I would never try to make my brother miserable.
When the dinner ends, Mare excuses herself to the bathroom as does Cal. I watch them walk done the hall together in a silence that could only be described as heartbreaking. Once they're out of view, I catch Victoria looking around at the great hall. She seems entranced by the enormity of the palace and everything in it. I assume she's from a Red family, so this must be new to her. I clear my throat and she turns to look at me.
"So, Victoria, tell me about yourself. Where are you from?" She looks surprised that I'm even speaking to her.
"Just some small Red town in the mountains. You've probably never heard of it, the government has been ignoring it for awhile now. They barely have any money." She's shooting daggers at me with her eyes. "I moved into a larger city when I was 13. I wanted to use my life to make a difference. I joined a group of doctors dedicated to providing medical care to the poor, but was kicked out because of some, ummm, issues, with another member. I started doing my own thing. While I was, freelancing, let's say, I ended up in a bar, with the Prince of Norta. He was thrown out of the royal family, abandoned by society, and assumed to be a murderer by almost everyone in the nation. That's where I come in, just a girl in a bar. And I gave him my number. I mean," she continues, taking a seat on one of the velvet couches, "I never expected a call back, but when you're offered a weekend in the palace, you usually take it. I've always wanted to see how the 1% lives." As we keep talking, I notice how everything she says seems slightly off. Almost like every word from her lips is tailored to be what I don't need to hear.

I'm so excited for where this is gonna go I have so many ideas. Thank u guys for reading! - Just Jules