Chapter 4 (Mare POV)

I step out of my room. It's 5:55. I walk down the hall, careful to make as little noise as possible. As I pass Cal's room, I feel a pang of sadness. Almost as if he read my mind, the door opens and Cal appears. I step back, surprised.
"Cal," I start but he stops me. "Mare, don't say anything." He kisses me and I wish this moment could last forever. But just like last time, I have to break away from him.
"I hope to see you soon." I turn away as he says, "I love you Mare. Don't ever forget that, no matter what happens." I turn back to him "I won't," I give him a quick kiss on the lips and step away. I hear him close the door and pray that this won't be the last time I see him.

As I walk into the forest, the reality of what I'm doing hits me for the first time. I'm about to marry the man I hate most in the world. I'm gonna have to kiss him and touch him and probably tell him that I love him. I almost gag at the thought of it. I can make out a clearing in the distance. As I get closer, I see three figures standing there. The one in the middle is obviously Maven. I can see his ego from where I'm standing. The other two look to be guards and I can see guns in their hands.
Maven calls out to me, "Hey, Mare!" I step forward and for the first time in months, I really see his face. His hair has grown out a lot since I last saw him. He has some stubble and his blue eyes are shining in the moonlight. I wish I didn't think it, but he actually looks kinda hot. As soon as it crosses my mind I feel like a horrible person. I immediately push the thought from my brain. I try to remember that hundreds of people are dead because of him. He steps forward and takes my hands in his. I think about pulling away but I look over at one of the guards and know that would be a bad idea.
"You look good," he says. "Even better once we get you fitted for some new, more royal clothes. Here, follow me. Our ship is this way." I expect him to let go of my hand but he doesn't. We walk off into the woods, our fingers entwined.

I just got off my plane and I'm shook. I kinda hate flying. Anyway I might be able to update more than I thought. Hope that happens. Happy holidays!