Chapter 46 (Mare POV)

"Balloons, streamers, ice sculptures, banners, and food. Lots of it. Plus everything we would usually have. Fancy tablecloths, nice silverware, white napkins. I think a dance floor would be nice. Maybe a special menu tailored to the resources of Piedmont to make them feel at home? I'm just throwing ideas out here." Maven has somehow decided to put me in charge of this festival for Piedmont. I'm working with one of his top advisors. I'm arranging the ball, while Senator Mcgrave works on housing the Piedmont nobles. I don't mind Mcgrave. He'll listen to me but is also competent at his job.
"You do what you think is right. Displays of our money and power would be best."
"Exactly. I think I can do that without coming off as if we're showing off," I say.
"Perfect. I'm assigning people to rooms in the guest corridor and send out the invitations today. Does that sound good?" I nod, my mind still stuck in thoughts of decorations and catering options. Mcgrave turns away and sweeps into his office. Just as I'm about to leave, he pokes his head out the door.
"Run whatever ideas you have by The King before you start any solid planning. Although I'm sure he'll agree to anything you suggest." He shuts the door and I continue on my way to Maven's office. Hopefully Mcgrave is right and Maven will accept my ideas. Because the safety of our nation now depends on decorations and fancy food.

Thank you guys for 5k! I'm on vacation so this was written quickly and it's pretty short. Thanks for reading! - Just Jules