Chapter 48 (Maven POV)

"Excuse me but have you seen the Queen? She told me she had a catering meeting today and they're here but no one can find her." The servant shakes his head and insists he hasn't seen her since the decorating meeting that morning. She can't have left the castle because the guards would know and she definitely can't be beyond the grounds. She knows better than that. I've checked her room and all the guest rooms. My room is empty. As is the library and all of the conference rooms. She's basically vanished. I tell the caterers to wait and that she most likely was caught up in some important business that won't take long. There's only one place I haven't checked. Cal's old room. Probably because I don't want to know if she's there. I'd rather ignore the fact she misses him. But I need this ball to go well. And for that the happen, I need Mare planning it. She knows what she's doing and despite her lack of experience, is an amazing queen. She could've convinced me that she was Silver if I didn't know. I step out of the elevator into the prince's sector. The door to my brother's old room is closed and locked. I quietly knock.
"Mare. You in there?" I hear a shuffling of sheets and then footsteps approaching the door. She unlocks and opens it. Her eyes are puffy and red and her hair is slightly out of place.
"How can I be of assistance King Maven?"
"Why were you in my brother's room Mare?" She sighs heavily.
"Just looking for some refuge before I had to meet the catering staff. Planning this thing is exhausting." She's lying but I won't push her about why. In fact, I think I already know.
"Ok well, the catering company is downstairs. I'll tell them you'll just be a second while you prepare yourself."
"Yes thank you Maven." She slips past me and into the elevator to take her up to her room. But I linger outside Cal's room. She was in his bed. Curled up in his blankets and sheets. Because she misses him. And I don't think she'll ever stop.

I'm late updating this sorry! I was on vacation and just trying to get some rest. I also had some much needed time to plan out the plot which was really nice. Thanks for reading! - Just Jules

PS - thank you guys so much for 6k 😘