Chapter 21 (Mare POV)

"And in conclusion, taxes are an issue we must bring forward to the smaller, more local groups and committees. King Maven, back to you with foreign relations." I've been at this government planning meeting for what seems like hours. The majority of the people here are old, rich guys or bratty rich guys. I haven't said anything this entire time.
"Yes, thank you Senator Guvero. Our relationship with the nation of Piedmont is failing. They're annoyed with the revolutions and rebellions throughout our nation. To be prepared to fight against other, potentially more dangerous enemies, we must form an alliance with Piedmont. I propose a marriage alliance. If the son of a noble could marry Piedmont's young princess, we would have a clear and strong alliance." One of Maven's close advisers looked over at him in confusion.
"King Maven, I don't mean to be rude, but you do realized a royal heir would be the best candidate to wed the young princess?" Maven scowled before turning to the adviser with an annoyed look on his face.
"There is no one I can think of that fits that description." This is when I have to speak up. Not only because I love Cal and can't bare to see him ignored as the rightful heir, but because as a queen, it's my job to make sure Maven doesn't let his personal problems interfere with running the nation.
"What about Prince Calore, Your Majesty? We could attempt to reach out to him and he could assist us by marrying the princess, uniting Norta and Piedmont." Maven stiffens at the sound of Cal's name. The room has gone dead silent. But I know that the advisory team and the government officials will agree with me. And if I can't convince Maven, maybe they can help him realize that mending the bond with his brother is the only thing that will save his nation.

Well, that took forever to update. I'm so so so sorry. I've just been feeling kinda tired and sick lately and haven't had the time or energy to write. It's a short chapter and it's unedited but I guess it's better than nothing. - Just Jules