5| Oh, Leave

Mariah's POV

"I'm so sad." I poured at my best friend. The day had come for her to leave and I stifled a sob as we stood at the entrance to board the plane. I refused to let her go as I sniffled in the crook of her neck, frowning. "Please don't leave me." I whispered. What was I going to be without Jessica? "Travel safe, okay."

"I will. Don't worry about me. I'll be back before you know it." She assured.  "'Kay, babe. Let me go, now." Patting my back, she began pulling away from me and wiping my tears. "Don't cry for me, okay."

I nodded, trying to control myself. As she walked further from me she shouted out something that made my face heat up.

"Bang Scorpio hard for me, okay?!"

I muttered an 'oh my God' and began making my way towards the exit. Wait, how am I going to get back to the uni? It had just occurred to me that I didn't have a ride. I should've thought about that before getting in a bus that Jessica had paid for. And I had no cash on me. Dang it!

As I neared the drop off zone, I frantically searched my phone for someone, anyone who I could ask for help. Why did I have to have such little contacts?

Mom and dad are gone to Russia. My brother can't drive. Lucas... nope! Can't go with my best friend's ex. Wait, when did his number get in my phone? Oh well, it was my only choice.

The phone rang three times before a gruff, "Hello." answered.

"Um... hey." I started. "I'm in a bit of a predicament here. I accompanied Jess to the airport in a bus and now I have no cash to go back to the uni. Would you, by any chance, be able to come pick me up?"

Well, this was awkward. "Okay."

"Wait really, just like that?" I beamed.

"I'm at the airport right now actually. Also sending someone off with one last goodbye. Where you at?" What a coincidence. I couldn't believe my luck.

"At the exit. You?"

"Right here." A whisper in my ear made me jump so high, you'd think I was in the Olympic high jump. His snicker was annoying as I tried to gain my composure.

"Can it."

"I can't." And he continued laughing his flat ass off.

I stood beside him, arms crossed and hip cocked to the side. "Are you done?" My head tilted in frustration.

"Yeah, yeah... oh, you're funny." He faked wiping a tear and told me to follow him. "My car's this way."

I walked a few steps behind him before stopping at a red VW beetle. "Really?"

"It's not mine." He grunted. "Get in, beautiful."

I complied with him and sat with one leg over the other while resting my hands on my knees. "So..." I drifted off.

He started the car and sped off from the drop-off zone, soon driving onto the highway. "So what?"

Well I didn't think you'd answer with a question. "What were you doing here?"

"Had to say bye to my brother. You?" He looked at me.

"Had to say bye to Jess. Keep your eyes on the road."

He laughed at that but complied. "That means that you now have your own room."

"Yeah..." I trailed off.