28| Oh, Pain

Mariah's POV

After getting cleaned up, Scorpio and I went to Biggie who weakly approved his departure from the Underground Boxing league. Scorpio was very badly hurt and I had to drive his car which was pretty nerve wracking since I hadn't done it a while. The last time I touched the wheel, I ended up in the hospital. I looked over to my boyfriend worriedly because he looked like he was in so much pain. "Don't worry, baby. It's going to be alright. We're almost at the hospital."

He gave a wry smile. "I like it when you call me baby. I also like it when you call me papí. It lets me know whether your horny or very compassionate towards me." The next few words came out in slow and sensual Spanish, sending a shiver down my spine. He closed his eyes. "But we can't go to the hospital. Too many questions and then I'll be in real trouble. Take me to my apartment, I have contacts who can help me."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

I drove back to his place, helping him out the car until we got to the door of his apartment. When we got in, I placed him on the couch and got his phone out of his duffle bag.

"Hello, Jahil. Yeah, I got beat up and I need your help ASAP." Scorpio said tiredly into the phone. It honestly broke my heart to see him like this. Weak. Vulnerable. Even though he got out alive, I couldn't help thinking what could've been. "He'll be here in 15. Can you get me some iced tea? It's in the fridge."

My legs carried me to the kitchen where I came back with his requested drink and some ice cream for me.

"You couldn't help yourself, could you?"

I responded by plopping a spoon of vanilla ice cream and humming. He smirked and used his good arm to tuck a baby hair behind my ear. He ruined my edges.

"You're so beautiful." Snorting was not the best thing to do right then because my ice cream got caught in my throat. I coughed a bit before holding my hand to my chest. That was scary. He laughed at me before wincing in pain. In time, the doctor knocked on the door, in which I let him through. He immediately got his equipment out of his briefcase and instructed Scorpio to stand up and take off his shirt. I had to help him get it off and it hurt me to see him in so much pain.

Jahil examined his wounds and his arm, pressing on them to check for any reactions. His bruises would fade away with the pain in about three weeks—the ones on his face, only two— and his arm was actually fractured. He had to keep it in a splint for about six weeks and try not to move it too much, even when showering. Other than that and his limping leg, he would be all good in no time.

Luckily, we had written all our exams and had been waiting on the results. Dr. Ramirez left soon after and I was left alone with Scorpio who had to go bath. I ran the water for him (hot like he liked it), getting his stuff ready. "Okay, Scorpio, the water is ready."

He was still shirtless when he came in and took off his pants and briefs. I closed my eyes until I heard the water splash and started walking out. "Wait, Mariah." I turned back, smiling shyly. "Bathe me?" He cheesed while I rolled my eyes. Nevertheless, I walked over to him and picked up his towel.

I sighed. "I was so scared. I wanted to hit you myself for making me so worried. When you started coughing up blood, I almost entered the ring and slapped that man silly for making you so miserable."

He laughed but turned grim. "He probably would have beat the sh** out of you too. And I couldn't live with myself if that happened."

"He beats girls?"

"Yes. That's kind of why Taylor is such a b****. She was abused by him for a long time and she just became cold. It's understandable when you know her story but on the outside, she just seems like a she-devil. But, that still doesn't take away from her naturally stand offish nature."