Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Zen P.O.V

Today was Friday, just one day till my date and I couldn't be more excited. This whole week Ian and I haven't talked much. He said it was a surprise. I hated surprise so much, but I loved them to. I had no idea what was going to happen hell I didn't even know the time. I just hope it was good, but as always with Ian it was unpredictable.

I stepped off the bus and begin walking home. I was beyond tired. Even though I've been kind of lonely since Tommy left. The house has been dead. Dawn's either been 'at work' or out somewhere doing drugs and I've mostly been by myself at home. I took out my key and unlocked the door.

The house was empty just like it has been. I didn't mind though, I liked the silence. I set my stuff down on the couch and plopped down myself. I rested my head back on the soft cushion and closed my eyes. I took a few deep breaths and cleared my mind.

As I was just about to go to sleep I heard my familiar ring tone. I pick my phone up and answered without looking at the caller ID. "Helloo" I said in a groggy tone. "ZEN, THANK GOD CAN YOU PLEASE COME IN?" I heard Mrs.Sylvia's voice through the phone.

I sighed. "Why?" I asked mostly annoyed. I was so tired I didn't even want to stand up much less go into work. "Please? We're short and you are our last hope." I thought for a moment. As much as I didn't want to go I did need extra money. "Okay, I'll be there in an hour" I could hear a breath of relief in her voice. "Thank you so much!" with that she ended the call. I let out a long deep sigh as if someone could hear me and got up from my position on the couch.

I took about a 10 minute shower and walked to my room. I through on some ripped skinny jeans and my work T-shirt. I left my hair down and put on some Nike's since I would be walking. Once I was done it was 4:15 and I told her I'd be there by 4:45 so I had to speed walk there.

I grabbed my phone and purse and jogged out the door and set on my way. To some walking through this side of Chicago might be scary or dangerous, but not me I somewhat liked walking. It gave me a chance to think, but not today I nearly jogged to work trying to get there on time

Once I got there I clocked in and went to Mrs.Sylvia's office at the back. Her desk was overloaded with all kinds of stuff. And since it was a grocery store I didn't understand that. When she noticed me she let out a deep breath. "Oh Thank God you're here Zen" she semi-yelled. I gave her a small smile.

She shoved a pricing gun into my arms. "Mark down the cakes" I nodded "Am I going to get payed the extra at the end of this shift?"

"Yes hun, I'll put a little extra money in your pocket, I know you got that date tomorrow" She said with a wink. I smiled and walked out.

5 hours later

I unlocked the door to my house and dropped all my belongings by the door. I was beyond exhausted and just wanted to eat, and take my ass to bed.

"Zen!!!" I heard Dawn yell. I mentally groaned to myself. I really didn't have time for her attitude. She has been really bitchy lately, well at least when she was home.

I walked into the living room where I found Dawn smoking a blunt. She was always getting high in some type of way, shape, or form. She was becoming an addict just like daddy.

"Yes Dawn?"

"I need $200.00" she took a long drag from the blunt.

I stared at this hoe like she was stuck on stupid. "What do I look like to you Dawn?
A walking bank? I don't have that type of money! I barely make minimum wage and you asking me for that type of money! And I'm the only one kicking down on bills around here! Where the hell is all your money going?" I couldn't believe her!