Chapter 19

Chapter 19

The next day I woke up in a surprisingly good mood. The fact that I haven't been in a good mood for weeks and I don't really have anyone right now is why it's surprising. I get up, head to the bathroom to take care of my business and then to the kitchen to find Tommy and granny sitting at the table eating breakfast.

"Good morning" I say with a smile on my face, they both look my way and smile. "Good morning sunshine, go fix you a plate" I nodded and made my way to the island in the middle of the kitchen. I grabbed a plate and filled it with eggs, pancakes, bacon, and a banana, It's been too long since I've had a meal like this.

I sit down in the empty chair and start to eat. "What are you doing today?" my granny asks finishing her last strip of bacon. I thought for a second before answering her. "I don't really know, I was just planning on spending the day with Tommy" I said truthfully. It's been months since I've seen my brother and I just missed him so much. After all it was a nice Saturday.

"Okay, that's good cause I have a few errands to run and I won't be able to spend the day with y'all today." She said. "It's okay, we'll have fun today" I said giving Tommy a smile.

I finished my food up and washed my dish. I was honestly looking forward to today. A day with just my brother and I was rare. It was what I needed to take my mind off of things, and to just let loose.

I made my way to my room and took a shower before searching my suitcase for today's attire. It was hot out so I settled on a pair of off-white shorts, a flowy floral crop-top, a cartigan over it, and sandels. I styled my hair in a bun and put of a necklace that I'd bought a few weeks before.

"Zen!" I heard Tommy call out to me as I was looking at my reflection one more time in the mirror. I opened the door to see him right in front of me dressed and all. "Yes Tommy?"

"I'm ready, and granny went with her friend so we can use the car." he said in his little high pitched voice. I nodded, grabbed my purse, and we headed out.

"Where do you want to go first?" I asked since he probably knew the city alot better than me.

__

After riding for what seemed like hours Tommy and I ended up at a park, that he claimed to be his favorite. I was just glad to see the smile on his face.

"Zen, I miss you. When you leave can I come with you?" Tommy asked as we made our way to the playground of the small park.

I chuckled a bit. "Tommy I'm sorry, but it's not that easy. You don't like it here with granny?"

"I do, but I just wish I could still be with you"

"Yeah, but we all just want what's best for you"

Tommy simply shruggs and runs to the swing set with the other kids. He signals for me to stay put and don't follow him while he plays. I chuckle a bit and sit on the nearby park bench.

I watch as Tommy plays with the other little kids in the playground. If only real life could be that simple. Just makes you want to be a little kid again.

I get up from the bench after a while and head to the ice cream cart. Phoenix is much hotter than Chicago in this time. I don't see how people did it.

I get two bowls of ice cream, one for me and one for Tommy. I go back to the bench noticing Tommy isn't there anymore. I look around for him frantically.

I look all over the playground and nothing. I finally spot his red shirt at the other end of the park talking to someone. I run over almost dropping the bowls of ice cream.