Addiction...

On the porch of his house, Spring stepped out for some air. He pulled a small box from his hoodie. Without a second thought, he pulled a cigarette from the box and stuck between his teeth. He brought his lighter to his mouth, igniting the cigarette and taking a breath, leaning against the wall and blowing clouds into the air. A noise of disapproval sounded beside him.
          "What the hell are you doing?" With half-lidded eyes, Spring turned to see Goldie standing there with his arms crossed. "Those things can kill you."

The older male shrugged.
       "Like I haven't heard that one before." Spring said, inhaling the fumes and mindlessly blowing into the younger male's face. Goldie coughed as he waved the fumes away, walking a bit closer.
        "Could you stop? Please?" He asked. "Smoking seriously isn't good for you."
        "You don't think I don't know that?" Spring snapped, "Besides, quitting is easier said than done."
  Goldie watched as the older male rolled the cigarette between his fingers, eyeing the tobacco thoughtfully.
        "Maybe you could find something else to replace it?" Goldie trailed. "You know, to distract yourself from the urge."
  Spring pressed his lips together in a thin line, pulling the cigarette from his mouth.
          "Oh yeah?" He blew a cloud into the air, careful to make sure it didn't flow into Goldie's direction. "And what's your suggestion, hm?"

  The golden bear shrugged.
         "A hobby?" He paused. "Uh... You smoke to relieve stress right? Find something that does that too."
         "Listen, Goldie" the older male gave a dull look, taking another drag. "I don't have anything like that. I've been managing fine, anyways."
         "So... No quitting?"
         "Not today, G."
  A pang of guilt rose in Spring's chest as a look of weary disappointment flooded the smaller male's face. The burning cigarette's ashes dropped to the ground, Goldie watching the embers die as he stood in defeat. Slowly, he stepped forward towards him, causing the older male to raise an eyebrow in question.
          "What?" He asked. Goldie opened his mouth to speak, but Spring cut him off. "Listen, I know the risk, ok?" He sighed. "It's my decision. Quit pestering me about it-"
          "Are you sure there's nothing?" The golden bear asked, staring the cigarette down with disgust. "Nothing at all you like?"
          "..."
          "Spring?"
  Warm gray locked with white, analyzing each movement they seemed to make. Spring's hand twitched, an itch forming in his throat. He shook the feeling off, flicking the cigarette's ashes away.
          "I can think of one..."
  A light shines in Goldie's eyes.
          "Really?" He chimed pleased with the development. "What is it?"
  The older male's lips tugged upward into a tired smirk.
          "It's a secret..."
  The smaller male frowned.
          "Lame Spring." He commented, pouting as the taller male gave a low chuckle.
          "What? You really want to help me?" He taunted. Goldie held his unamused look, but gave a shy nod of his head. "Good. C'mere for a minute."
  Goldie furrowed his eyebrows, suspicious, but obeyed nonetheless. Suddenly, Spring leaned forward, catching the smaller male off guard. Their mouths connected in a short, sweet peck before he pulled back, watching as the younger male flushed red.
  Goldie's eyes were wide, his mouth left open in a gape.
         "T-that... H-how was that going to help you?!" He stammered, the red on his face trailing up to the tips of his flattened ears. "That was uncalled for, Spring!" His hands curled into shaky fists.
  The older male laughed as Goldie punched his arm. It didn't hurt, but he managed to fake a betrayed reaction anyway. The golden bear bit his lip, cheeks aflame. Without another word, he turned on his heel and stomped back into the house, not daring to look behind him.
        "What's wrong Goldie?" Spring called back, mocking him. "You look a little burned!"
  His front door swung back and slammed loudly, leaving him in the cold. Spring gave one last chuckle, bringing the cigarette up to his mouth for a drag. He stuck it between his teeth and inhaled, eyes going wide as an unfamiliar sensation filled his lungs. Pulling it out of his mouth, he held it away from him as he coughed the toxins out, a look of shock painted his face.

  A baffled look glared down the tobacco, sparing a glance towards the door. He put a hand over his chest, a feeling curling up in something that didn't feel like his lungs. Strange...

  Spring licked his lips, staring at the cigar one last time before crushing it between his fingers. He took the full box out of his pocket, tossing them both to the side as he walked back into his house.

~~~ Three weeks later ~~~

  It was official: Goldie had officially ruined smoking for Spring.

  It was a slow, but effective progression. At first, they didn't taste like they were supposed to, even though he was sure he bought the right brand. Then, his lungs weren't as tolerant as he's made them to be. Every time he'd take a drag, he'd start coughing and sputtering like he was new at this, even though he's had plenty of practice.

  The final straw was when they actually started to taste horrible. It wasn't something he could just brush off, like a change in the tart, but more like every cigarette was dipped in something rancid. Something toxic. It got so bad to the point where Spring would start gagging at the thought of a smoke break.

  Luckily for him, adjusting without cigarettes became a lot easier with a distraction. Spring playfully punched Goldie's arm as he thinks this. His new addiction pouts at him, playfully batting him back.

NightBear15 signing off...