Chapter 13

"The Earth city of Omashu!", Aang cries proudly, spreading his arms wide, "I used to always come here to visit my friend Bumi."

My eyes trailed over the earth city. I remember my father telling me stories of the great city, and it's more or less insane King.

"Wow. We don't have buildings like this in the South Pole!", Katara gasps, looking on in amazement. "They have buildings here that don't melt!", Sokka cries out.

"This is nothing like the Fire Nation" I state to more myself than the group, yet Aang still glances in my direction.

"Well let's go, slow pokes. The real fun's inside the city!" Aang chuckles, beginning to walk to the city.

"Wait, Aang! It could be dangerous if people find out you're the Avatar!", Katata states with a cry "And I don't think we can walk into Omashu with Azara in her fire nation getup" Sokka states, looking at my red outfit. 

"I can't wear the colors of my nation proudly?" I ask, glaring at Sokka, who merely crosses his arms.

"Come on Azara, we can make up some fun disguises" Aang states, sending me a cheeky smile.

Anger boiled through me. I needed to get it under control before I burned down the city, or Sokka. "Azara, you can borrow some of my clothes" Katara voices out, her calming tone easing my anger.

"Thank you", I say, releasing my clenched fist.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Once I was changed into a simple blue dress, and the red pins that held my hair above my head were turned into blue holds, I was ready. While I looked like a Water Tribe girl, Aang resembled an old man, even using his staff as a walking stick.

"You guys are going to love Omashu. The people here are the friendliest in the world", Aang states as we near the gates of Omashu. Suddenly, a harsh voice stops us, leaving Aang's eyes to widen.

"Rotten cabbages?!", says a guard, who squishes a cabbage in his hand, "What kind of slum do you think this is?!" Earthbending the cart holding the cabbages, it falls off the bridge and into the depths below.

"No! My cabbages!!", screams the man.

I look down, hiding a small smile that erupted onto my face like the blooming of a flower. The guards reminded me of Zuko's harsh personality, leaving me to forget how badly I missed them for a little while.

"Just keep smiling" Aang mutters to us as we approach the gates. I stand proudly next to Aang, who is covered in Appa's fur, while Katara and Sokka walk behind us.

I flash a golden smile, one that took the hearts of my people.

Suddenly, one of the guards catch us. Angrily, he stops his foot, causing a large boulder to levitate over Aang. "State your business!", he growls. 

Instantly, I lift my fingers to strike at the rock, but Sokka's hand clamps down on my shoulder, his eyes sending me a glance telling me to stop.

Sighing, I turned back to the guard, who now faced the wrath of 'Old Man Aang', who yelled at the young man. "My business is my business, young man, and none of yours! I've got half a mind to bend you over my knee and paddle your backside!"

My mouth hangs open in shock, not expecting this to come out of the mouth of Aang. Clearly Katara, Sokka, and even the guard didn't expect this as their mouths also hung.

"Settle down, old timer! Just tell me who you are", the guard asks nervously.

"Name's Bonzu Pippinpaddleopsicopolis, the Third, and these are my grandkids" Aang smiles proudly, looking back at us.

Smiling, Katara walks forward, leaving Sokka and I behind. "Hi. June Pippinpaddleopsicopolis. Nice to meet you!", she smiles kindly, before looking back at her brother and I "And these are my siblings, Kong and Jin Pippinpaddleopscopolis."

The guard strokes his beard, gazing back at all of us. Pointing at Katara he says, "You seem like a responsible young lady. See that your grandfather stays out of trouble. Enjoy Omashu!" Stepping aside, he opens the gates to the city. With a lighthearted smile from Katara, we all start into the city.

As Sokka and I pass the guard, we keep our eyes on him, clearly not trusting him. Catching on, the guard grabs Sokka, "Wait a minute! You're a strong young boy! Show some respect for the elderly and carry your grandfather's bag!"

Smirking, Aang takes off the bag he holds and throws it at Sokka, who fumbles with it. "Good idea!" Aang cries out, before turning back around and walking into the city.

Taking a heavy breath, I step forward, slowly entering a city full of people who hate me.