Chapter 66

I thought after losing so much in this world, losing my bending wouldn't hurt me as much. How wrong I was.

As the days dragging on turned into weeks, I slowly lost the motivation to practice my bending. Grandpa told me that it was my own mind stopping me from healing, but I ignored him and his wisdom. My time was spent meditating in the cell I now called home.

Every step of a soldier that stopped by our door left me remembering Zhao, but Grandpa always assured me that he was gone. It was like I was circling downward in my development, turning into the scared little girl who stood among thousands who knew my father. Even the crude death of my mother haunted me, and I hadn't thought about her in years.Remembering that had me laying awake for a week at least.

Of course, Ren pushed through all of the bad, his touch feeling so real, yet when I tried to focus, he was nonexistent. I even created tales in my mind, wondering what would've happened if he had survived. Perhaps if he had, I wouldn't be in this cell.

One day, perhaps what might have been two months since our capture, I woke to find Zuko in my cell, his hands pressing some kind of leaf to my wounds. "Get away!" I snarl, instantly kicking him to the other side of the cell, scrambling to my feet.

Once we stood together as a powerful team, now we stand apart as opponents. His expression was unreadable, a new thing he must have learned with living side by side with Azula and Ozai. Still, the royal robes annoyed me the most about his new appearance, like expensive silk will cover up what a horrible person he and his nuclear family is.

"Azara, let me help you" he frowns, trying to come closer.

"If you touch me I swear to the spirits you'll regret it" I hiss. "You did this to me."

Bitting his lip, he forcefully grabs my hands, pain shooting through them as he wraps my hands with the leaves.

I desperately try to find something to say, anything that would hurt him like he hurt me.  Quickly it comes to me, pushing from my mouth without a moments notice. "Your father tried to kill you. He actually tried to rid the world of you, yet you still follow him like a loyal dog" I spit, glaring into his eyes with hatred. "I'm the one who put my life on the line, and sacrificed everything for you, yet I managed to lose it all while you live it up. Trying to help you only ruined my life. It took me to Zhao's bed time and time again, which still haunts me. You took the love of my life away from me, you took my friends away from me. Spirits, you've even taken my bending from me. You are no family of mine!"

Looking to his feet, he scowls. "I don't even know why I try with you."

"I don't know either" I hiss, shaking my head.

There was an audible silence between us. Grandpa stayed silent, like he has been for the past week. Zuko looked over me, his expression cracking to show pity. I could only wonder what he was looking at. The once powerful princess was nothing more than a drowned rat.

Seeming to remember something, he spoke quickly. "My Father wishes to see you at once, only you." My eyes instantly widen. What would a distant uncle want with his niece? Before I can ask, Zuko grabs my arm, pulling me from the cell. Grandpa reaches from his cell, his newly muscular hand pulling Zuko and I both back.

"Do not anger Ozai, for it will lead to a fate I cannot save you from. Say and do what he wishes." he whispers, letting go. I remain silent as I'm pulled through the prison. For the first time in a long time, I was elsewhere, no longer in that cell. "The maids will make you presentable" he sighs, once we enter through the back of the palace.

In an instant, he's gone, and the cold hands of elderly women pull me into a hot bath. I enjoy the pampering, my short hair hanging proudly in defiance. The women had no clue what to do with my hair once it was dried, so left it as it was, focusing more on the long dress that was brought in. The dress was beautiful, but the sleeves stopped at my elbow, exposing my hands.

Firelord Ozai was always one for public humiliation.

Two guards march me through the palace, the whispers of servants echoing the halls.

Since when has Princess Azara been back?

Did you hear what happened with her and Admiral Zhao?

The poor girl.

Lifting my head up, I push through the door leading to the throne room. There among the wall of flames sits Firelord Ozai, Azula and Zuko. Stopping at a respectable distance, I nod towards the Firelord. "May I ask why you've called me here, Firelord?"

"Can a Uncle not wish to see his niece now and then?" He chuckles.

"When your Uncle is planning world domination, family matters become less important" I reply, keeping a bored expression.

"Why must you say it like it's a bad thing?" He asks, standing to his feet. "Besides, now that you're impaired, you'll need my help in finding a husband."

My hands clench into fists behind my back. "I would appreciate any help the crown can give me."

He examines me, his watchful eye taking in every detail. "You've come home very different my niece."

"I thought that would be good for you, Uncle. Certainly these travels wouldn't leave me as the idiotic little girl I was when I left."

Zuko grimaces, while his father smiles. "Indeed, now tell me, now that you are home, how do you wish to live the rest of your life."

Grandpa's words echo in my head, demanding me to leave my destiny behind. I had to make sure I had the chance to fulfill my destiny. "I wish to live a quiet life, I have no desire to stir up anything, I would much rather sit in my cell and meditate."

Pleased with my answer, Uncle stands to his feet. "Perhaps we can get you out of your cell, and into the many rooms in the palace. It would be guarded at all times, and you would still be a prisoner, but perhaps I can make life easier for you. It's not your fault you followed your Grandfather."

With much distaste, I smile. "Thank you, Uncle." With even more distaste, I kneel to the ground in a bow.