Chapter 18

This gif has nothing to do with the chapter, but I find it too funny. This is arimichella when she impulse buys things instead of commenting on my updates (Don't kill me).

"So, you and Ren-?" Zuko asks, leading a Rhino behind us.

"Just shut up Zuko", I say harshly, holding up a hand as we walk off the ship, "Just tell me about what happened to Grandpa."

"I found the spring he was in, and rocks were moved upwards, so as you heard, he was taken by earthbenders", Zuko says, our feet swishing into the damp earth.

"So let's follow every main path we can find", I say, pulling my cousin towards a clearing.

"Do I have to worry about Ren?" Zuko questions once we reach a large path.

"Why do you even care?" I question, looking over to him. Shrugging his shoulders slightly, he replies with, "Because we're going to be walking awhile, and I need to know if this crewman will effect your performance."

"Oh, but of course", I say, my voice meaning to come out as snarky, but it almost gurgles free as a laugh.

"Come on, isn't this what cousins are suppose to do? Talk about life, but not in a dark way?", Zuko questions.

Sighing, I run a hand over the top of my head. "He was a servant at the palace, he was the one that told me of your Agni Kai" I finally whisper, catching Zuko's hand touch his scarred eye. "He tried to stop me, but ultimately I ended up a your side, banished."

"Our lives weren't suppose to turn out like this", Zuko states," We were suppose to grow up together, and enjoy our childhood. Then, once we were grown, we would watch as your children grew up. Our only true issue would be who would become Firelord. We wouldn't be standing here, banished and looking for Uncle Iroh. I shouldn't have this mark of shame, and you shouldn't be an orphan. Our lives were suppose to be full of simplicity and joy, but instead, it's in shambles."

My feet stop, eyes wide. "Zuko-"

"I should have stopped you, that way you wouldn't be banished with me", Zuko chokes, looking down at his muddy shoes, "After all these years...I no longer think of you as just my cousin Azara, you are my sister, and I hate watching you follow in my footsteps of failure."

"Zuko", I say sharply, my eyes wide with sadness and shock, "I will never apologize for protecting you, you are my family, my brother, and I will always stand by you."

Pushing myself forward, I hug Zuko tightly "Don't ever call yourself a failure Zuko, you stood up for what you thought was right. And there is never a fault in that."

His arms wrap around me, holding us in a hug. 

"Now let's go find Grandpa" I smile, pulling away.

"I think I found a trail already" Zuko states, walking towards an old sandal. 

"I wouldn't do tha-"

Gagging, Zuko pulls away from the sandal, "That's Uncle Iroh alright."

"Then let's go" I state, pulling myself onto the Rhino. I hold my hand out to Zuko. Firmly grasping it, I pull him up onto the animal. "Let's go" he nods.

~~~~~~~~~~~~

"There are some more footprints" Zuko notes, pointing at the ground ahead.

"Yah!" I call to the animal, cracking the ropes down on the Rhino, so it picks up speed.

Suddenly, Zuko gasps, "The Avatar!"

Looking up, I spot the flying bison, shooting in the opposite direction. I open my mouth to try and tell Zuko that we can't abandon Grandpa, but he stops me. "Keep going, we need to make sure Uncle Iroh is alright."

Smiling, I crack the reigns down again, making the Rhino pick up speed.

We watch the ground for awhile, watching the footsteps, until something, odd occurs.

"Look", I state, slowing the Rhino to a stop, "It looks like someone ran away, or at least there was a fight."

I look up at Zuko with worried eyes. "Don't worry, Uncle can take care of himself. Look, down there", he explained, pointing towards the edge of the path. Clearly the rocks pushed outwards were not natural. "We need to hurry" I state, jumping off of the Rhino.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"These dangerous hands must be crushed", a grim voice snarls. With a stomp, a rock arises, and is prepared to slam down onto Grandpa's hand.

"Are you ready?", Zuko questions, looking down at me. 

My wide eyes fall, drooping down into an angered glare, "You get the rock, I got the rock heads."

Moving out of hiding, Zuko jumps, kicking the rock out of the way. With a roundhouse kick, he snaps the restraints on Grandpa. "Excellent form, Prince Zuko" Grandpa says proudly as the three of us form a circle. "You taught me well" Zuko states, preparing to fight.

 "Surrender yourselves. It's five against three. You're clearly outnumbered."

"Yeah, that's true, but you are clearly outmatched" Grandpa smirks.

The soldiers begin the fight by rising rocks form the ground. While Zuko and Grandpa fight their own battles, I run towards a soldier.

Snarling, yellow fire is released from my fists like a dragon releasing fire from it's jaws. The soldier stumbles back, but manages to throw a rock at me. Ducking, I slide under the rock, but before I stand up, I kick the man's feet out from under him.

"You never, ever mess with my family" I snap as my fist slams into the earthbender's face.

Once the man falls into a deep sleep, I turn back to Zuko and Grandpa, who look at the mess of rocks on the ground.

"Thank you kids, for coming to find me" Grandpa states proudly as Zuko puts a hand on his shoulder.

"Now can you please put on some clothes?", Zuko asks desperately.