Chapter 39

Due to the though process, I've decided to edit this chapter. If you have already read, PLEASE read again.

"Show yourself" I sneer into the darkness, hands warming with my anger.

Silence fills the air. Fear runs up my spine, and pricking at my mind. This wasn't like when I fought Fire Lord Ozai, he couldn't murder me, unless he wanted his brother to unleash all of his power on him. I was alone. No one would come to protect me, in fact, if anyone else came upon me, they would most likely kill me for being apart of the Fire Nation.

The fear begins to curdle, my mind racing to find ways to fight this person off. My heart's fast beating still feeding into my fears.

"I said show yourself" repeating myself, I take a daring step forward.

Quickly, the earth around me begins to rumble, throwing me off balance. Instantly, I throw a foot into the air, kicking a blast of fire into the dark air.

The person, who was an earthbender, claimed my feet, the earth sucking them into the dirt.

Frantically, I attempt to escape, trying to pull my feet from the ground, but the hard rocks firmly hold them in place. With a snarl, my free hands release large fire streams, igniting the woods into flames.

The cracking of burning trees fill the air, but still no sign of this person. Growling, I let go of another blast of fire.

A tree falls back onto other trees. The earth around my feet seeming to get closer.

Then I realize. My body is being sucked into the ground.

Panicking, I think of ways to escape. I could dig myself out.

No, the second my hands touch the earth, they too will be encased in rock.

My bending clearly didn't scare the person, so that wasn't a thing I could use. And I wasn't about to begin begging for my life.

The earth pulls me down, my knees now below the surface.

The Water Tribe thought I was alive. Aang, Katara, and Sokka most likely thought I was with Grandpa and Zuko. Zuko and Grandpa probably thought I was with The Avatar.

No one would be finding me.

I had to fight, I wouldn't go out without one.

Moving my hair from my face, I take a deep breath. With my upper body still above ground, I begins moving it, side to side. My hands away like the burning tree branches.

Crackles of lightning fill my hands, the blue beams forming within my hands.

Then, the earth takes in my thighs, and waist. Loosing concentration, the lightning blows up in my face, resulting in a cry to escape from my lips.

I watch in horror as the earth steadily takes more of me underground. Waist. Chest. Shoulders. Neck. Chin.

Taking in a gulp of air, I look up at the night sky, just as the earth swallows me up.

I'm sorry.

------

Air fills my lungs.

Gasping, I look around, the night sky surrounding me. Was I dead?

Turning, I see the small hole I was once trapped in.

"What?" I whisper on my hands and knees, taking in the air.

"You barely stayed in the act for five minutes. I thought someone of your status would have lasted longer" a voice chuckles. The hoarse tone let me believe it was someone a few years my elder.

Rising to my feet in a second, I come face to face with a pair of green eyes.

Instantly, I let out a blast of fire. Swiftly, the woman dodges me, throwing up a large rock pillar, slamming it into my side. Her black hair showing off the greying roots.

"Who are you!" I call out, slamming my foot out, releasing a heavy fire stream.

Throwing up an earth wall, the woman chuckles "I'm honored, the great Fire Nation Princess wants to know who I am." Muscles twitching, the wall crumbles apart, the bits shooting towards me.

Ducking, the rocks fly over my head, slamming into a nearby tree.

"How do you know who I am" I question, standing up.

"I don't" the woman replies, her built figure shocking me. While her changing hair colors let me know she was older, her swift movements showed her strength "but the way you carry yourself, along with the fact that actual Water Tribe man called you Princess Azara, which I assume is not a nickname."

"If you know of my status, why not kill me?" I ask, lowering my defenses.

"Because" she states matter of factly "No Princess would just wander on her own. And, you haven't killed me, even though you're a firebender, so I know you do not support this horrid war."

"You want something. That's why you didn't leave me in the ground."

The woman smiles "At least you're not a total idiot. But yes, I'm trying to get to Ba Sing Se. My family is there."

"You think I can get you there?" I scoff.

"I can help you pretend to be someone other than yourself, and you can help me by just being with me. No one survives here on their own" the woman goes on, taking a few steps to me.

"Alright" I nod "I'll help you get to Ba Sing Se."

Holding out a hand to shake, the woman smiles "My name is Ruby."

Taking her hand, I return the smile. Maybe this could work.