Chapter 65

The next few weeks I drift in and out of conscious.

All I remember was soft hands pressing healing leaves to my hands, and the whispers that Avatar Aang was dead. I️t all seemed to go by faster than nights spent on Appa's back.

I don't remember how long ago, but our ship arrived in the Fire Nation. Zuko and Azula walked off of the boat as heroes, while Grandpa and I were deemed traitors, and lucky to be dumped into prison rather than being killed.

Now, Grandpa and I sit in cells next to one another, with bars of dark metal keeping us apart. He says it's been almost a month since the fall of Ba Sing Se, but to me, it felt like it was just yesterday.

In my palm, I try to crush the molding potatoes they serve us. Leaning on the bars, Grandpa instructs me. "You need to rebuild the strength in your hands, Azara. While the lightning damaged the inside of your hands, the fire destroyed the outside. Mixed together, your mind doesn't know where to begin in the healing process."

Sighing, I concentrate on crushing the potato. I press as hard as I can, but I'm only able to get indents of my fingers on it. Dropping it aside, I scowl. "You should have left without me, now that Aang is dead, the world needs the next best thing."

"You are my greatest concern" Grandpa frowns, looking at my hands. "Now, can you try bending?"

Holding my hands out, I try to spark a small flame. Nothing. "It's useless. My hands are destroyed" I croak, pulling my knees to my chest.

Grandpa says silent, and I turn to ask why, but I freeze as the door to our cell creaks open. Looking back, I expect a guard, but I come face to face with something even worse.

"Prince Zuko" I say, turning around so I could face him. "What you possibly be doing down here?"

Stepping to the cell, his hands grip the bars. His hair was trimmed, the small crown resting above it all. The royal robes that were softer than clouds finally rested on him again. What happened to my robes? "You should have trusted me. You wouldn't have gotten hurt, and we'd both be back home."

Standing to my feet, I meet him at the bars. My hands clamp down over his, my eyes glaring into his. "You're lucky you destroyed my hands, or your own would be melted to these bars." Pulling away, I shake my head. "I don't even know who you are anymore. Why would you choose your crazy father who burned you, and your equally insane sister over the people who've cared for you the most?"

"You don't understand Azara. I had to do what I needed to do in order to survive."

"And I did what I had to in order to save the world" bringing a hand to my mouth, I shake my head. "Everyday I tried to protect you, I tried to be the sister you never had, instead you murder my boyfriend, imprison the only person in this world who even remotely loves me, help in killing the Avatar, and take my bending way."

"Azara" he whispers, looking down.

"Get out" I hiss, black smoke puffing from my nostrils.

"What happened to you?" He growls, gripping the bars. "You used to be so kind and helpful. Now I don't even recognize the young girl who risked her life for me."

"You killed that little girl too" I whisper, clenching my jaw. "I'm disgraced to even think that we're related. I used to wish that you were my brother, but now I'm disgusted by the thought."

He stands in silence, glancing over to Grandpa, whose turned.

Growling, a blast of fire erupts from his palms. "I don't need you! Either of you! If you two weren't in prison, you'd be rotting in Ba Sing Se!" He screams, turning and leaving the room with a bang.

My chest heaves up and down in anger. With my own child-like scream, a small blast of fire kicks from my foot.