Chapter 17

The ocean wind blows softly through my free hair.

It's been a few days since I returned to the ship, and when I told Grandpa about what happened with Zhao. It was hard, going into detail about something you try to forget. 

At first, he just held me, and let me cry, but after awhile, he started talking. 

While he seemed visibly saddened, it was the first time I had ever seen him slightly angry. 

He told me that I was strong, but I should let me feelings free, or else it will bottle up inside me. 

And if I did that, it would surely destroy me.

"Azara" I heard Zuko's voice call out. Turning my head slightly, I say, "What do you want Zuko?"

Stepping forward, he joins me at the bow of the ship, "I wanted to...apologize, if I knew what I said would effect you this much, I would have said sorry earlier. I'm sorry Azara, I shouldn't have gone that far."

Taking in a breath, I turning my full attention to him. I almost spilled what Zhao did, but I kept my lips sealed. Unlike Grandpa, Zuko's anger could not be controlled, only redirected, almost like lightning. 

"I forgive you", I say quietly, "Just don't do it again."

"Good" he says, his lips turning upwards for a split second, before falling back into his frown, "We think we've found the Avatar's trail again, so we're going to dock."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Where is he?" I sigh as Zuko and I fumble through the dense forest.

"Uncle! It's time to leave! Where are you? Uncle Iroh!" Zuko calls out angrily, shaking his head.

"Over here!" a voice replies in the distance. Stopping, I send a glance to Zuko. "Come on!", I say before taking off through the forest.

As we run through the forest, we find a clearing, were Grandpa sits. Steam rises up into the air, the hot water clearly soothing Grandpa. "Uncle? We need to move on. We're closing in on the Avatar's trail and I don't want to lose him" Zuko states, crossing his arms.

"You both look tired, why don't you join me in these hot springs and soak away your troubles?" Grandpa states.

"My troubles cannot be soaked away. It's time to go!" Zuko snaps.

"You should take your teacher's advice and relax a little. The temperature's just right. I heated it myself" Grandpa chuckles before steam fumes from his nostrils.

"Enough! We need to leave now. Get out of the water!" Zuko snaps angrily.

"Very well", Grandpa smirks, standing out of the water.  With a high-pitched shriek, Zuko and I both cover our eyes.

"On second thought, why don't you take another few minutes? But be back at the ship in a half-hour or I'm leaving without you!", Zuko states before turning around and walking back through the forest.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"Did you find him?", I ask as Zuko walks back onto the ship, his face angry.

"He's been taken by earthbenders, we need to go out, and find him" he replies firmly. Nodding, I go down to my room to grab my armor while he informs the crew.

Pulling the shoulder pads over my head, I take a breath. "Hey" a voice whispers.

Turning around, I lock eyes with Ren, whom I haven't talked to since I've been back. "Ren-" I begin, but his embrace cuts me off. "I was so worried Azara, spirits, I thought you were dead" he whispers in my ear.

The authority that filled me, was drained, leaving a bubbly teenager. 

"I'm sorry" I whisper, wrapping my own arms around him, the scent of coal filling my nostrils. My head rests on his shoulder, his head almost resting on top of mine. 

Suddenly, my door is opened, revealing Zuko. "Az-!" he begins but is shocked into silence. 

Pulling away from Ren, my hand finds it's way to his cheek, "We can talk later". Sighing, I walk away from Ren, following Zuko through the hull of the ship.