Growing Up (Patrick's POV)

"You ready?" I asked Pete as we just stood in the hallway.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Pete said.

"Come on," I said as I took his hand and led him into Emily's room.

Once we walked through the door, we instantly looked towards Emily. She was still in her bed, almost the same position as before, resting. It looked as if nothing had happened at all, but sadly, it did. Pete and I, and everyone else, can try and believe it didn't happen, but it did. We can avoid the subject altogether, but it still happened. This all happened. There's no going back. It's too late now. And, as much as I hate to say it, let alone think it, Emily almost looks... Dead.

"S-Should we wake her up or not?" Pete asked.

"I think it's best to let her rest, given everything that's happened today," I said.

"Yeah, good idea," Pete said as we both sat down, me taking his hand in mine.

Well, we waited, just sitting there with nothing but our thoughts again. We didn't talk. We didn't laugh. All was the same as before. The tv was on, volume down, but we didn't pay attention to it. We payed attention to Emily. Every little move she'd make to every breath she took. We watched her.

How could we not? How could we not worry? How could we not literally watch our daughter like a hawk? We're worried. We're always going to worry about her, about all of our children.

That's what life is: worrying. You're always going to worry about something. Whether it be your children or a big test your have in school tomorrow. You're always going to worry.

My terrible thoughts got interrupted by Pete's phone going off. He excused himself and left the room, answering it in the process.

After another minute or two, I say back and relaxed in the chair I was sitting in, only to be startled by a noise.

"Dad?" Emily asked.

"What is it, hun?" I asked as I sat back up and took Emily's hand in mine.

"O-oh, nothing," she said. "I just wanted to make sure you were here."

"Em, Pete and I are not leaving your side. I don't think we could," I said.

"I love you guys," she said.

"Love you too, Em," I said.

"Where's Pete?" she asked.

"Oh, his phone rang just a few minutes ago, so he left to answer it," I responded.

"Oh, what about Joe, Andy, and Jaimee?" she asked.

"Jaimee got a little freaked out after what happened earlier, so Pete had Joe and Andy take her back to Brendon and Dallon's place, back by Ethan as well," I said.

"Oh, sorry I caused such a ruckus with everything," she said as she chuckled.

"Em, your health and safety comes first, above everything. Our kids always come first," I said. "And nothing is going to change that."

"You're one of the best dads I could ask for," Emily said. "I love you so much."

"I love you you Em. Now, why don't you get some more rest? Doctor said you need it," I said.