Chapter Five: Character

I woke up in the hospital room, the steady beeping letting me know that I was in fact, not dead. I opened my eyes to Steve, chatting with the doctors, making sure over and over again that I was okay.

"I think I can walk it off," I said, his eyes quickly locked onto mine. He thanked the doctors and rushed over towards me.

"Are you feeling okay? You don't have to play tough girl, it's okay if you don't feel fine," he said quickly, holding my hands in his. 

"I feel fine," I answered honestly. "What happened exactly?"

"Well, you were already exhausted after the run in with Rumlow," he started his eyes flickering towards my nose for an instant. "Then when the, uh, building exploded she kept going, even after you were clearly past your breaking point. You wouldn't stop until everyone was out, I have never been more amazed by you. But, as soon as everyone was out, well as soon as all the survivors were out, you passed out."

I looked down at my hands, "how many survivors were there?"

"Not many," he replied sullenly.

"How is Wanda?" I asked instantly, knowing what the guilt could do to a person. "Is she going to be okay?"

"I think so, but she isn't letting up on herself, she has barely used her powers since it's happened," he replied, his eyes once more going to my nose.

"Is there something wrong..?" I asked skeptically, reaching up with my own hand. But, Steve stopped me before I could touch it.

"The doctors say it will take time to heal, touching it will only hurt," he told me. But I pushed myself out of the small hospital bed, going towards the small mirror hanging in the room.

I didn't even notice the rats nest of a hairstyle I had, my eyes instantly went to the extremely blue nose. The bruise couldn't hide the extreme crookedness of my small nose. A curve that once had not been there. I refocused my eyes, and saw Steve was now standing behind me, his hands resting on my shoulders.

"The doctors tried fixing it as best they could, but he hit you pretty hard," Steve said, looking me in the eyes. Letting me know that it would permanently be this crooked.

"It-it's fine. It's just a nose, much worse could have happened, to either one of us," I said to Steve. I wrapped my arms around his torso, he returned the hug. Steve kissed the top of my head, as he held me tighter.

"Besides I think it adds character," I replied casually. I could feel Steve's whole body shake as he let out a laugh.

"This is why I married you," he said still not quite letting go.

"Now can we get the hell out of here? Hospitals make me uncomfortable," I said, heading towards the small pile of clothes in the corner.

"I have noted that over the years," Steve chuckled, handing me the jeans that where on the chair. "The doctors said you could go anytime, as long as you felt up to it."

"Trust me, I feel up to it," I added, not wanting to spend another moment in the overly bright room.

I quickly stripped the hospital gown and put on my clothes, a simple pair of jeans and t-shirt, I slipped on the converse Steve brought me, and we walked out of the room hand in hand. Steve lead me towards the Avengers facility, the hospital wing not far from where everyone's rooms were.

Steve and I had our own room here, on late nights were neither of us felt like heading to the apartment.

I sat down on the small  chair in the corner of the room, while Steve changed into something more casual. His plaid button down changed into a dark blue t-shirt.