Chapter Thirty-Six: End of An Era

I watched as he got up, staggering as he stood to his feet. He had been momentarily distracted on his knees, holding his head in his hands. I could see his eyes were still distant as he got up.

I looked as he looked more betrayed than ever. I knew I had crossed yet another line, but I felt I had no choice. I felt trapped when he was holding me, his hands had been so tight.

"That was low, even for you Smith," Tony said, still looking as if he was regaining himself. "I thought you said you'd never go into a teammates mind."

"I guess we're no longer teammates," I told him bitterly, trying to stand strong. "You made that clear when your metal hand was choking the life out of me."

I could feel Steve tense beside me, he started to stand slightly in front of me. I knew he wanted to protect me. But, I didn't want him hurt because of me. I also knew this was bigger than just me, both Bucky and I were paying for past mistakes.

Tony then blasted at us, Steve threw his shield in front of me quickly. I felt Bucky's arms around me as he placed me behind them. The two of them started to go against Tony, taking turns passing his shield. They worked together like a well oiled machine, moving off of one another.

I felt frozen as Tony blasted Steve against a wall. I could see this one took a small toll on my husband, he was getting tired. We all were.

Tony and Bucky continued to go at it, as Steve tried to get back onto his feet. I felt so angry at Stark for not taking a moment to understand. For not ever giving me a fair chance.

I used my strength and forced him into the wall, hard. I held him there with all my strength.

"Get him," I shouted at Bucky as I stood in front of Tony. I watched as he struggled against my powers, but I held him steadily to the wall. I've never used so much power at once, I never knew this much was inside of me.

Bucky came launching at Tony, hitting his chest hard. Bucky ripped at the arc reactor in the middle of the suit. Tony worked hard, trying to pry him off of him, but my powers weren't letting up. I held him to the wall, even through the blood dripping down my nose. My head was pounding, but I held steady as I kept him pinned to the wall. I stared straight ahead as Bucky continued to grab at the reactor.

Then a shot rang out, I fell to the ground as the light hit me hard. I fell to the ground with a thud. A scream escaped my mouth. I felt the entire world around me go black as I hit the floor.

My eyes continued to open and close. The world around me coming in and out as I bounced back and forth between reality and my own darkness.

I opened my eyes to see Steve yelling my name, I could feel the heart break as my name left his lips.

My eyes fluttered shut once more, the world going black again. I could see old memories fluttering in and out. I felt the world stop as I was brought back to my wedding day, my heart stopping as I saw Steve at the end of the aisle.

Then, my eyes opened again. I saw Steve and Tony fighting. I have never seen Steve fight so hard, he looked so angry. I didn't know why, what set him off this much further.

I looked to my left side and saw Bucky also lying down. This meant it was just between Tony and Steve. No one else to help either of them.

I wanted to get to my feet, but it was like I couldn't move. I looked over and saw worry in Buck's eyes. He could see me struggling to get up, he put his hand on me, stopping me from moving.

Then, my eyes closed again. The blackness consuming again. This time the memory was a bad one, I was back in Hydra. The training room was dark as I continued to fight my opponent, as I gave no mercy. I blasted him into the concrete wall behind us, the mind controlling taking over as I took the man's life without feeling a thing.