Chapter Nineteen: Like You

"So did they all turn out like you?" Sam asked him, posted up against the doorway. There was zero tolerance in his eyes, I knew he disapproved of Bucky. I didn't need to read his mind to know that.

"Worse," Bucky said, not looking at any of us now.

"The doctor. Could he control them? Like he does with you?" Steve asked, not mentioning how he could control me too. Probably for my sake.

"Enough," Bucky replied, not giving more details. But, it was obvious the 'Elite Death Squad' was no joke.

"Said he wanted to see an empire fall," Steve told him, his arms crossed now.

"It seems like with these guys he could do it," I said, not sure what the plan was.

"They speak thirty languages, can hide in plain sight, infiltrate, assassinate," Bucky continued.

"They could take a whole country down in one night, and you'd never see it coming," I finished for him, my mind moving a million miles a second.

Sam came over, pulling me to the side where Steve was. The three of us were in a small circle, obviously trying to figure out what was the best route here.

"This would have been a lot easier a week ago," Sam told us, whispering. "If we call Tony.."

"No we can't call Tony," I replied instantly, not even letting him finish. "There's no way he would help now. If he ever had doubts about me, well they've all been proven right."

I felt Steve's arm wrap around my waist now, giving me a small source of comfort.

"He wouldn't believe us anyways, about either of them," Steve told Sam, ruling out Tony.

"Even if he did," Sam started.

"The Accords wouldn't let him help us. Even if he wanted to," I finished for him, my own arms crossed now.

"We're on our own," Steve said, sounding defeated now.

"Maybe not," Sam told us, giving off that he may know something we didn't.

I raised my eyebrow, intrigued as to what he could mean.

"I know a guy," he informed us, shrugging.

"Come on, we need to go," I told them, not wanting to waste any time now. "I know Tony, I've been inside that mind once, he's not going to waste any time. We shouldn't either."

I grabbed my phone, one of the pre-paid ones we picked up. Not wanting Tony to track us on our normal phones, those were quickly left behind.

I texted Sharon, hoping she would help us one more time. I knew I was pushing my boundaries, but she helped us once. I was hoping her connection with Steve, the one they shared with Peggy, could help us.

We were all getting ready, I threw on the leather jacket over my plain grey t-shirt and laced up my boots.

I felt Steve's eyes on me as I got ready, I turned around to see him standing in the small doorway.

"Did anyone ever tell you staring isn't very nice?" I asked him, a small trace of a smirk on my face.

"They must have never seen someone as pretty as you," he said back, flashing me his trademark smile. I could only shake my head, laughing slightly.

"You're too good, Steve Rogers," I told him, standing to my feet now, making my way towards him. I wrapped my arms tightly around him, not wanting to let go as he wrapped his around me.

"Are you ready for this?" he asked me, looking down at me. I gave a small nod, not sure what the real answer was but what could we do to stop what was coming?

"I'm as ready as I'll ever be," I told him, trying to stay confident. "Maybe this will be my time to put it all in the past for good."

"It's doesn't have to stay in the past, you can use your past to make yourself a better person," Steve started. "Which you've done Mo, you don't owe anyone a thing."

I stood on my tip toes, giving him a small peck on the cheek, then lead the way out of the room.

"They'll be waiting on us," I told him.

Then, it was the beginning of a fun car ride.

~A/N thank you for reading! All the comments have been keeping me super motivated lately!
QOTC: What has been your favorite line from Morgan out of all four books?
If I get 5 replies to the QOTC then I'll post the new chapter first thing tomorrow!
As always if you enjoyed this chapter please leave a vote or comment! I love seeing all of them, they're so appreciated.~