Chapter Seven: We All Can't Live Forever

kytren saracmack @WannaBeFamous212 @Moon_Flower_321 @Chanelypop

Just a special shoutout to those listed above for giving me some awesome feedback in my last chapter! Hope to hear from everyone!

We headed for London as quickly as we could. Never imagining to miss her funeral. I not once felt out of place here. I went to visit Peggy several more times since the very first time Steve took me to meet her.

Steve and I sat in the pews, Sam on the other side of me, waiting until they were ready for Steve to help carry the casket. When they were ready, they called his name. I gave his hand a squeeze and kissed his cheek, letting him know it would be okay. He sent me a grateful, yet sad, smile, before leaving to help carry Peggy.

I watched helplessly from the pews, trying to hold in my own tears now. Of all the things Steve and I had been through, he never once had to let me into this part of his life. Yet, he did. He shared with me one of the closest people in his life, both past and present. I felt a hand on my shoulder, I gave Sam a thankful smile.

After carrying her, he made his way back to the pew, sitting down beside me without another word. Just grabbing onto my hand as tightly as possible.

"And now, I would like to invite Sharon Carter, to come up and say a few words," the preacher said, gesturing for Sharon to join him on stage.

"Margaret Carter was known to most as a founder of SHIELD. But I just knew her as Aunt Peggy. She had a photograph in her office. Aunt Peggy standing next to JFK. As a kid, that was pretty cool. But, it was a lot to live up to. Which is why I never told anyone we were related. I asked her once how she managed to master diplomacy and espionage at a time when no one wanted to see a woman succeed at either. And she said, compromise when you can. When you can't, don't. Even if everyone is telling you that something wrong is something right. Even if the whole world is telling you to move. It is your duty, to plant yourself like a tree, look them in they eye and say, " No....you move."" Sharon finished, almost staring down Steve and I. We both knew there was a double meaning behind this. 

The funeral didn't last long after Sharon's speech, there were a few more relatives who stood up and gave nice and thoughtful speeches. Then they wrapped it up nicely, Steve never letting go of my hand.

We lingered behind everyone else, I wasn't wanting to rush Steve through any of this. I watched from the side, letting him have his own time with this. Letting him make his peace before we left.

I saw red hair out of the corner of my eye enter the room, she had on a black dress and heels to match. The black making her hair look red as fire.

"Come to say goodbye?" I asked her, not only referring to Peggy. I was also referring to Steve and I, we both almost completely decided we would not be signing the papers.

"Come to make peace," she said quietly. I turned to see Steve looking at the two of us, we walked over towards him now.

"How is he?" she asked me quietly as we walked.

"He'll be okay, I think. Its's just hard, they were really close," I whispered back, not wanting Steve to hear us talking about him.

"I could never believe how well you took all of that," she replied, but before I could answer back we were beside Steve.

"When I came out of the ice, thought I wanted to ignore she was gone. When I found out that she was alive, I was just lucky to have her," Steve said to the two of us, still looking at the Peggy's picture in the corner.

"I know she was happy to have you back," I told him truthfully, trying to ignore the small hint of jealously that would creep up over now and then. Sometimes wondering if he had settled for me, knowing he would never find someone like Peggy.

"She had you're back too," Natasha assured him.

"Who else signed it?" Steve asked her, obviously wanting to get past the subject. Not wanting to linger on this hard time.

"Tony, Rhoden, and Vision," Natasha informed, not probing for more. She looked between the two of us for a moment, before sighing.

"What about Clint? I can't see him signing this," I asked her, wondering what his answer would be.

"Said he was retired," she replied simply.

Sam just nodded along, not saying much.

"Wanda?" Steve asked her, I truly didn't know where she stood on all of this. She didn't say much in the meeting, she only looked scared and guilty.

"To be determined. Said she wanted to see what you two did. I'm off to Vienna for the signing of the Accords. There is plenty of room on the jet. Just because it's the path of least resistance does mean it's the wrong path. Staying together is more important than how we stay together. What are we giving up to do it?" Natasha asked us, trying to make us both see her side. I could tell she wanted nothing more than for the team to stick together, one of the only families she had.

"Sorry Nat, I can't sign it," Steve told her truthfully.

She then turned her attention to me now. Raising an eyebrow, questioning where I stood on this. She knew that although Steve and I were a team, didn't mean I would necessarily side with him. I saw she was still hanging on to a hope that I would go and sign wit them.

"I just can't do it. After everything Hydra put me through, after they infiltrated SHIELD, I just can't put myself under another agency like this," I said, not backing down from my answers earlier today.

She nodded, looking at the ground for a moment, as if she were looking for the answers in the dull brown carpet.

"I know you couldn't, not after what happened," she finally answered, looking at us both now.

"Then why are you here?" I asked her.

"I don't know. I just felt the two of you might have needed my guidance," Nat answered. "I guess I didn't want either of you to feel alone through this."

She walked over and gave us both a hug, although it was stiff, I knew that was a lot coming from her. She gave Sam a small kiss on the cheek, sending him her best flirtatious smile. I could see right through it.

After she left the three of us got on the jet and left, not knowing what would be waiting when we came back.

~A/N hey everyone thank you for reading. I can't tell you how much I love seeing everyone's comments and votes. It keeps me motivated to continue writing.

I'm about to get super busy with school, 2 of my classes start tomorrow, which means I'll have 3 full college classes. So I'm thinking of putting this book on a writing schedule. What do you think?? Let me know what day you would like, if this is a good idea at all! Would love to see everyone's points on this!

As always please leave a vote or comment if you enjoyed this chapter!~