Chapter Twenty: Road Trip

I almost choked as I saw the small bug we were supposed to use as our 'cover-up' car. I could see the entertainment on Sam's face as he watched my reaction.

"Let me guess, Steve picked this?" I asked, smiling in spite of the small car.

"You know it," Sam said, chuckling now. I turned and saw Bucky already sitting in the back seat of the car, looking as if he were sulking.

"There weren't that many too choose from," Steve replied, getting defensive over his car choice now.

"Did you two..?" I asked Sam, looking between him and Bucky.

"I won fair and square," he said defiantly, crossing his arms. "Paper always beats rock."

I rolled my eyes, making my way to the back of the car. I knew there was no way in hell Sam would share the backseat with him. So, I crawled in the back squeezing in beside him. I felt his eyes on me as I settled in beside him, but when I turned to look back at him he turned away.

"This is going to be exciting," I mumbled to myself, settling into the seat further. I could see Steve's eyes flicker to me in the rearview mirror. I gave him a small smile, which he returned, but we both knew there was more underneath the surface.

I felt the small prepaid phone go off, I looked down at the screen seeing that Sharon agreed.

"Steve, go here," I told him, showing him the coordinates Sharon had sent me. I then threw the small phone out the window, not wanting to take any chances.

"So uh, how exactly did we know each other at Hydra?" I asked Bucky, slightly whispering. I didn't want to go inside his mind, who knows what I could accidentally activate or see.

"You don't remember?" he asked me, his eyes meeting mine for the first time since we got in the car. I had felt like he was avoiding me the entire time, not wanting to get to close to me. Especially since we had the same time to Hydra.

"No, they wiped a lot of memories. I've slowly gotten some back, but not enough," I told him, shaking my head at the loss of memories I felt.

"Well, not that we had much down time, between the assassinations, brainwashing, and well freezing, you and I were pretty close," he told me, looking out the window now. His voice was low, and there was something he wasn't telling me I could tell.

"What do you mean?" I asked him, my face full of confusion, but the car came to a stop, we were now behind Sharon's car.

Steve got out first, giving me a hand as he helped me out of the back seat.

"I'm not sure you two get the concept of a get away car," Sharon noted, looking over the small Volkswagen.

"It was not my first choice," I told her, looking pointedly at Steve.

"It's to keep a low profile," Steve said, justifying his choice in our beater car.

Sharon walked over, opening the trunk of the car. There was Steve's shields, Sam's wings, and my leather suit, all sitting in the back. I grabbed the leather, feeling it run through my hands, bringing back a lot of memories. I felt myself pause as my hand went over the small Avengers logo on the arm.

"I never thought I would miss this cat suit," I said, forcing a laugh. Sharon, gave a chuckle, but I knew Steve could see through what I was trying to do.

"I owe you, Sharon. Thanks," I told her, meaning it. She gave me a small smile.

"I'll just add it to the list," she said chuckling, I gave her a small goodbye, Steve doing the same. We walked back to the car, I shoved my suit into the small backpack I had been carrying. Steve put his shield and Sam's wings into the trunk.