Chapter Thirty-Eight: New Beginnings

Suddenly I was in a room, two paths laid out ahead of me. I blinked, trying to decipher just where I was, but I couldn't tell. Only that there were only two ways to go.

One was bright, a life laid out ahead of me. Another chance.

Or the other path, to finally end it all. To never return.

This has happened once before, being given two options. The last time I tried to go the other way, to not go back. But this time I sprinted towards the path that leads me back. I wasn't done yet, this couldn't be the end for me. Not now.

I felt like something was pulling me back, like something was fighting against. It was trying to push my down the path that would never come back.

So I fought even harder, clawing and pushing my way towards the light. Towards where I knew Steve would be. Where my family would be.

Then it was like the light wrapped itself around me, I felt safe and secure. I let it take over, feeling the warmth wrap around me.

My eyes fluttered open, the room around me feeling foreign. I only saw bright white walls all around me, the sound of machines beeping was the only thing I could hear.

I looked to my right and saw my arm missing.

So that wasn't apart of some horrible dream. It was gone. Just like that.

But, I didn't have time to linger. The door to my left opened and Steve came bursting into the room, I watched as the cup of coffee in his hand was now long forgotten as it splattered all over the floor.

"Steve-" I started but was cut off as he grabbed me in a hug. I wrapped my one arm around him, not letting go as I was swallowed by his embrace. I felt myself shaking as the tears came easily now, I felt so happy to be here. To be back with him.

Neither of us were letting go, afraid to release the other.

He finally pulled away and put both hands on either side of my cheeks, our eyes met for a brief moment before he leaned down and captured me in a kiss.

All of our emotions went into the kiss, I could feel how scared we were both were. His hand held me softly but urgently. Both of us holding onto each other desperately.

Only after a few minutes did we finally pull away, but only by mere inches. He rested his forehead against mine, hands still on my face. Both of us were breathing heavier, eyes were locked once more.

"You scared me, I thought you were gone. They said your heart stopped," Steve told me, his voice sounding so fearful. Something I was not used to hearing from him.

"I thought so too, but I promised you I would be here for you, always," I reminded him, kissing him lightly.

A small smile was now on his face, I could see he was relieved. I felt better seeing him look a little more like himself. I could feel him relax a little now.

"Don't ever do that again okay?" he asked me, almost pleaded with me.

"I'll try my best," I told  him, my own smile appearing now. This seemed to ease him even more, but I watched as his eyes went to my vacant arm for a moment. They quickly returned to my face, but I could see sadness in them again.

"Mo, I am so sorry. I should have been there, protecting you," Steve said, his blue eyes filled with guilt.

"I was trying to protect you and I would do it all over again," I told him quickly, my hand going up to his cheek, trying to reassure him. "Besides it's just an arm, I'll grow a new one."