Chapter Thirty-Seven: Where Does This Leave Us?

Steve held onto me tightly as we left as fast as we could, going back to the jet.

I was full on sobbing now, panicking as I couldn't unglue my eyes from my missing limb.

"It's gone Steve," I said, my voice shaking relentlessly as I laid in his arms. I looked down with horror, still not able to take my gaze away from the empty spot where my arm used to be. 

Bucky was right behind us, his own face dazed as he followed behind us. I couldn't think straight, it was like the world was spinning all around me and it wouldn't stop.

"It's going to be okay," Steve said, although his own voice shook as he spoke. I could see the pure fear in his eyes as we made it to the jet.

His hands, his always steady hands, shook as he set me down.

"Can you drive?" Steve asked Bucky, sounding as panicked as I felt. All I wanted to do was hold him, to tell him it would be okay. But, I didn't know that. I didn't feel like it was going to be okay. 

I looked over and saw Buck's metal arm was gone. But he didn't waiver, didn't even hesitate.

"I got this, take care of her," Bucky replied, hopping into the pilot's seat. The jet came to life as Bucky continued to press buttons and get the bird to lift. 

Steve sat down with me, laying my head in his lap. I looked up at the ceiling trying not to close my eyes. If I closed my eyes they may never open again. I was terrified to my bones. 

He grabbed one of the extra t-shirts and wrapped where my arm was torn off, right at the shoulder.

I continued to stare at the ceiling, trying not to move or think. My vision blurry as the tears clouded my eyes. I used to be so tough, now the tears came so loosely. 

"Do you think I'll make it back?" I asked quietly, all of my energy gone now. I had used the last of it pulling Tony's foot. I couldn't bare to look into Steve's eyes. I didn't want to see the truth, to see if he thought he would loose his wife today. 

"Don't think like that," Steve said instantly, pulling me into his lap now. Being careful as if I were going to break in his hands at any moment. He ran his hands through my hair, trying his best to comfort me. To comfort himself. 

"I, just want you to know, I didn't mean for all of this to happen," I said, using my left hand to grip his hand. I grabbed it as right as I could muster. A tear rolled down my cheek as I tried to finish what I was saying, my eyes focusing on the ring on my finger. "I finally feel like I've made peace with my past. The only regret I have is pulling you into all of this. You don't deserve this."

"I don't. I don't regret any of it," Steve said, ever the optimist. "I would do it all again for you."

I dared to look at him now, though I was frightened at what expression would be on his face. I turned to meet his blue eyes. I could see how terrified he was, though he tried to hide it by putting a small smile on his face. I could only meet him with more tears, they came faster and faster. 

The pain rippled through me and I felt like my shoulder was on fire. I screamed as it felt like I was finally feeling the pain. The adrenaline finally fading. 

Steve wrapped me in his arms tighter, whispering sweet nothings and telling me it would all be okay. 

"Just hold on," Steve started, his voice soothing as he rocked me back and forth. He kept pressure on the missing limb. I could only sob now, the pain feeling like it was taking over my entire body. 

"Steve, I can't. I-I won't make it," I stuttered out, feeling like it was my time. I faced all my demons, maybe this was my fate all along. 

"Do not say that," Steve said sounding panicked. 

"Bucky please hurry," Steve shouted towards the front of the plane. I've never heard him so scared before. 

"I'm trying Steve, we're getting close. It won't be much longer! Hold on Morgan," Bucky said, steering the plane, trying to make it go faster. 

"Just in case," I started, reaching up for his face with my left arm. 

But he interrupted me, not letting me finish.

"No you're not saying good-bye, I won't let you," Steve said fiercely, gripping my hand in his tightly, no signs of letting go. "You're not going anywhere. You promised me." 

"Well, if I promised," I managed to get out before screaming again. The pain grabbed me tight, it's cruel hands trying to pull the life out of me. 

I did my best to fight, to stay for Steve. To stay for me. To see a life where my past no longer had a hold on me. To be able to begin again. For us to finally have a clean slate. 

"You'll be okay," Steve said, muttering over and over again. 

I barely felt the plane as it landed, finally at a hospital. I let out a breathe of relief, before another round of pain ripped through me. 

I was in Steve's arms almost instantly as the plane landed, he wasted no time and rushed me into some type of hospital, screaming for anyone to help. I had no idea where we were. 

The desperation in his voice nearly killed me itself as people came rushing in all around me, their accents thick and familiar as they put me on a bed. 

Steve held my hand, not letting go as they wheeled me away. 

"Don't let them take me Steve. Don't leave," I cried, my hand gripping his tightly. 

But, the doctors broke us apart, telling him they needed to get in there quick. That he couldn't come with me. Suddenly, I was so afraid. So afraid to die, I always thought I would be ready. I always thought it would be an end to a terrible force in the world. But, not now. No, there was so much for me to live for. 

"Steve, no!" I screamed, trying to get up, to get to him. I could see he was crying now as he paced, several people keeping him from running after me.

 "It'll be okay," a woman said, grasping my hand softly. I looked up frightened, but she had kind eyes as she assured me. 

"If I don't make it, tell him I love him okay?" I asked her, not being able to steady my voice as I spoke. Each word came out shaky and desperate, but I was done caring. I needed him to know if the worst happened. 

Then, the world around me went black. 

~A/N As, always please leave a vote or comment if you enjoyed it, and I've officially decided there will be another book after this one!

SO I SAW AVENGERS INFINITY WAR TODAY!! No spoilers in the comments but please if you've seen it and want to talk about please message me! I have soo many feelings about it!! 

QOTC: How did you feel about this chapter? I always get nervous when I write them with nothing from the movies!~