Chapter Fourteen: Lines Drawn

Steve and I walked into the room, his hand guiding me through. Tony walked in behind us. I looked over at the computer screen and saw the room they were keeping Bucky in. Steve looked over, seeing the same thing. I knew I could be in that same position, being blamed for something I know I didn't have anything to do with.

"We'll fix this," I told him in a brain message, grabbing his hand and giving it a squeeze. I was doing my best to comfort him. He gave me a grateful smile, giving my hand a squeeze back. 

"Do you guys want to see something cool?" Tony asked, showing us a small box. "I pulled something from dad's archives."

I could feel my throat tighten at the mention of Tony's father, knowing full well what has happened. How Tony has no idea what I've done. If he ever hated me before it will be nothing like what he will feel when he knows the truth of what I've done. 

"Well, timely," Tony continued, placing the box on the table, displaying two pens. "FDR signed the Land-Lease bills with these in 1941. Provided support to the allies when they needed most." 

Steve and I both sat down at the table, letting the words sink in, knowing full well what Tony was getting at here. 

"Some say it brought our country closer to war," Steve challenged, looking up at Tony. 

"See? If not for these you wouldn't be here," Tony replied, glancing over at me. I was sitting back in the chair, arms crossed. Stuck in my own mind for a second, the guilt eating me alive. I looked down to see my hand glowing dark blue, I took a deep breathe. The color went away as I calmed down.

"I'm trying to, what do you call it? That's an olive branch," Tony said to the both of us, gesturing towards the pens. 

"Is Pepper here? What does she think of all this?" I asked, an eyebrow raised. I knew this is where he was going all along. I wanted to change the subject a little.

"We're kinda..well not kinda-" 

"Pregnant?" Steve asked him, interrupting. 

"No, definitely not. We're taking a break. It's nobody's fault," Tony finished. Steve and I exchanged a look, neither of us knowing this. I instinctively twisted my own ring around my finger, feeling the diamond against my hand. Seeing the commitment Steve and I made everyday, it grounded me, made me feel I always had someone on my side. I would feel devastated if I ever lost that.

"I'm so sorry Tony, I- we didn't know," I said quickly, now feeling bad I ever brought it up. 

"A few years ago, I almost lost her. So I trashed all my suits," Tony started telling us. "Then we had to mop up Hydra and then Utlron. My fault. And then, and then, and then. I never stopped. Because the truth is I don't want to stop. I don't want to lose her. I thought maybe the Accords could split the difference."

Tony looked between Steve and I, who were both not sure what to say to all of this. I looked over at Steve, not sure what to do. He didn't look to sure either, not yet anyways. 

"In her defense, I'm a handful. Maybe not as much as your wife over there," Tony started, chuckling a little. But, there was a dark humor in it. "Yet, dad was a pain in the ass, but he and mom always made it work. And look at you two, seeming to be on solid ground." 

I felt Steve's hand find my own, squeezing it. I could barely sit through hearing about his parents, my entire body going rigid. I wanted to get out of there as quick as possible, but I needed to see where this was all going.

"I'm glad Howard got married," Steve said. "I only knew him when he was young and single." 

"Oh really? You two knew each other? He never mentioned that. Maybe only a thousand times," Tony replied sarcastically, I knew the balance between him and Steve was only so touchy. I knew it had a lot to do with the expectations Howard put on Tony, always mentioning Steve. "God, I hated you."