Chapter Forty-Four: Outside The Law

I watched as Steve put the jet into stealth mode, I climbed into the seat beside him. My mind wandering over the last few days, the mess we've gotten into. How this has changed us forever, my eyes lingering over my new metal arm.

"We've been put through it haven't we?" I asked Steve, almost sounding exhausted.

He looked over towards me, his blue eyes sparkling as he looked at me. I would never be able to get over how he looked at me.

"I think we've come out stronger," he replied. This assured me, that this wasn't going to tear us apart. I don't think anything could at this point. We were bound for life.

"You surprise me every day," I told him, the admiration in my voice was clear. "You've never stopped amazing me, not since the first time I met you."

"You know, I could say the same about you," Steve added.

I scoffed at his answer. I'm sure I surprised many people, not always in good ways. I wasn't exactly the most subtle of people.

"What? You have," he continued to assure me. "And the way you've changed sine we met, it's inspiring. You become more and more confident in yourself and who you are. It's amazing Mo."

"Steve-" I started, trying to cut him off. But I couldn't bring myself to it. I knew he was right. I knew I was someone so different than even our first Avengers meeting together.

"You've become someone we can all depend on, someone who is always going to do the right thing. I have always seen that in you, but you finally see it in yourself too," Steve finished. His words hanging in the air as I absorbed them.

"Who do you think helped me get there?" I asked him, not being able to help myself I leaned forward and put the plane in auto pilot. I climbed in Steve's lap, letting him wrap his arms around me as I rested my head on his shoulder. "I don't know want to know what would have happened if you hadn't been there for me. Where I would have ended up by now."

"Well you'll never have to know, we're together till the end," Steve  replied, his hand rubbing small circles on my back as I felt more relaxed.

"You know we have to go on the run now?" I asked him, not sure how he would do being on the wrong side of the law now. Technically we were both criminals.

"I think we can handle it," Steve said back, putting his hand under my chin, my eyes meeting his now.

"I think so, I mean I may have a little experience with being on the wrong side," I quipped back, letting his hand guide me.

Soon we were kissing, the kiss felt like fireworks. The entire world seized to move all around us, it was like nothing else mattered in this moment. As long as we had one another I'd fight this battle all over again, just to have him.

We finally pulled apart, both of us locking eyes as we did. It was like we didn't have to say anything else, the kiss had said everything. We had each other and that was all we needed.

The rest could be damned.

We were quickly taken out of our bubble as the jets system alerted us we were close to our destination.

The next chapter in our lives was beginning, we would be on the run from now on. Going where we were needed.

"I can't believe they're all locked up like this," I muttered, shaking my head. "He knows they're not criminals. That we're not criminals."

"What's done is done, all we can do is help them out now," Steve told me, grabbing my hand to calm me.

"You're right," I sighed as the plane landed, the stealth mode still in tact. "We're going to have to be quick about this."