Chapter Thirty-Five: Can We Turn Back Time?

I ran towards Steve and Bucky, wanting to help. Although I wasn't sure how much help I would be. I could feel blood dribbling down my chin, I wiped at it quickly, composing myself. 

I watched as Tony was over Steve, hitting him. I felt rage build up inside me and I snatched the shield from Bucky's hands and ran full speed towards Tony. I leapt into the air, slamming the shield into his back. 

It got his attention as he turned quickly using his blaster to sent me flying as I used the shield to protect myself. 

"You need to stop," Steve sent me in a brain message, as I stumbled to my feet once more. I knew I had to keep going. 

"I can keep going," I replied back stubbornly. I threw the shield to Steve who was still fighting Tony, but I could see that Bucky was up and fighting too. I leaned against the wall for a moment, trying to regain any powers I could. I was going to have to push myself to the limit. 

I screamed as Steve was blasted into the wall, I could tell it was all starting to take it's toll on him. He was a super soldier but he wasn't totally invulnerable. 

"Tony you have to stop!" I screamed, blasting him with a huge blue power blast. I could feel my entire body suddenly grow more powerful as the rage built even bigger inside of me. As if it were feeding the fire within me. 

Tony was sent flying into the concrete pillars, metal scraping as he stood back to his feet. I could tell it hit him hard, there were dents scattered all over his suit. 

I watched as he turned towards me, momentarily stopping. I saw out of the corner of my eyes Steve catching his breathe. If anything this could help Steve catch his breathe, to give him more energy. I hoped to stop the fight for good, but I wasn't sure how practical that was. Bucky watched apprehnesibley as Tony opened his helmet, revealing his face. 

"This doesn't have to end like this," I said, pleading like a little girl. "You don't have to like me, you can hate me if you want, you always have, but we can't do this."

I saw his eyes narrow as the words left my mouth.

"I warned everyone about you Smith! I knew you were bad news from the very first meeting!" Tony spat at me, I could feel the words hit me worse than any of his punches. "You somehow got all of us to trust you and this is like a knife in the back! You even tricked the most honest man in the world to somehow marry one of the sneakiest assassins ever!" 

"That's not true and you know it Stark!" I told him, screaming the words now. My emotions were running high now, I finally understood what Steve has been telling me all along. 

"How could you?" he asks me after a moment, his eyes more sad than angry now. I held my breathe for a moment, wanting to say the right words. 

"Tony, I didn't want to! Can't you see that? Can't you see that was not the life I wanted? How can you not see how hard I've worked to change that person? To be someone worthy of the Avengers?" I asked him desperately, realizing for the first time just how much I've changed. Realizing for the first time that I was not the woman who did all of those things. She was someone else. 

"You killed my parents," he said bitterly, his eyes hardening once more. His tone completely changed, it was as if his mind was made. "I don't think I could ever see you as anything else again!" 

"You know I couldn't control it! You think I asked to be controlled like a puppet for a majority of my life? You think I wanted to kill innocent people for an organization who couldn't give a shit about my life? I didn't ask for this!" I screamed back, my voice wavering. I looked down and saw my hands were shaking as they turned bright blue.  

"Frankly Smith, I don't give a shit," he told me, deadpanning the words. I felt more anger as the lack of his emotions killed me. I knew I would never get through with him. Not now, not with all the hurt so fresh. 

His helmet closed back over his face, before he could blast me I sent him flying into the concrete once more, the blue energy slamming him into the wall. 

He came flying back at me, grabbing me and slamming me into the wall. I felt the breathe rush out of me all at once. He held my face against the concrete, not letting up. 

I screamed as I couldn't get myself out of his grasp. 

So I did what I had to do, I entered his mind. I brought back memories he never thought anyone else could see. 

I saw one I never thought would ever be on his mind. The entire Avengers team dead. I could feel the hurt and agony of the memory. I saw all of us on a pile, each completely lifeless. It was terrifying, I gasped as he came to Steve. He shot up, blaming Tony for all of our deaths then fell back to his lifeless state.

I felt Tony's release loosen, his attention elsewhere. I kicked him away from me, falling to the ground. I landed on my feet and sprinted to where Steve and Bucky were. Steve grabbed me in his arms quickly, holding me tightly. The three of us watched as Tony tried to compose himself. 

I've never wanted to use that trick on any of my teammates but he had given me no choice. 

"What did you do to him?" Bucky asked me, eyes still trained on Tony. 

"Something that will only give us a moment to regain our strength. It won't last," I said quickly, gripping Steve's hand in mine tightly. 

I knew once it wore off Tony would come back with everything he had. 

~A/N Hey everyone sorry for the delay in update! I've been on vacation and just got really busy in general. But I hope you enjoyed this chapter! It's pretty different than what is in the movie! 

Also important QOTC today so please answer if you want! I would really love the feedback on this one! There will be two QOTC today!

1) QOTC: Once I finish this book, should I go back and edit the older books? 

I've been thinking of editing the first three books to this series once I finish this and start the new one. I wrote them a while ago and think they could use some cleaning up. Just let me know what you all think.

2) QOTC: What did you all think of this chapter?

Please if you enjoyed give this a vote and a comment. I love seeing everyone's thoughts. It really helps me as a writer! You're all awesome!