Chapter Twenty-Seven: Stopped

I stopped dead in my tracks, not sure what to say or do. Did I really want to have a showdown with one of the closest people in my life? But how could I not continue fighting? When there was much more going on then choosing one of these sides, it was bigger than that. It was bigger than all of this. 

Steve and Bucky both came to a stop with me, I could feel my heartbeat racing, the adrenaline kicking into overdrive. I felt Steve's eyes shift from me to Natasha, then back once more. It was almost as if he was waiting for my signal on what to do, usually it was the other way around. There was a reason he was the leader, I didn't want to make this decision. 

"You're not gonna stop," Natasha said to me, her eyes almost pleading for me to. It would make everything easier, if we just stopped. Put an end to this feuding, but we couldn't. Not now.

"You know we can't," I finally spoke, my voice not sounding like my own. I felt like I was betraying my own family, being faced with her like this. 

"We have to keep going Nat," Steve told her, his own eyes pleading now. I knew he was close to her too, this couldn't be easy for him either. But, I knew he, we, would do what we had to. 

"I'm gonna regret this," Natasha replied, holding her arm up, aiming it at me. I felt my mouth open in shock, but before the bolt hit me or Steve it went flying past us both. Hitting another target, T'Challa. 

"Go," she said to me, I knew this would be hard for her. Especially having to deal with Tony after letting us go. I gave her a quick hug, one she didn't return before running past her and onto the jet. I watched silently as T'Challa still came running after us, even after she shot him with several more tasers. 

He was really determined to kill Bucky and I, for a crime neither of us committed. Not that I could blame him for believing it, I've done worse things in my past. It wasn't like my file was squeaky clean. 

Before I knew it we were in the air, making our way through the rubble. On the way to fight the real enemy. 

Steve was in the front flying, I was sitting parallel to Bucky behind him,  silently thinking to myself. Caught in my  own thoughts, something that didn't happen to often. Not with a mouth as  loud as mine. 

I heard rumbling outside the window, I turned to my right and saw War Machine flying beside us. 

"We have a visitor," I said to Steve, motioning beside us. He looked and saw Iron Man and War Machine both following us now, and pushed the jet to go even faster. We needed to loose them if we were ever going to make it to our destination on time. 

I heard some explosions behind us, I got up from my seat, trying to look out the small window. I saw Sam behind us chasing War Machine and Tony, having our backs like always. 

"NO!" I screamed, I watched as the unthinkable happened. I saw Visions beam of light glide past Sam, the real target, and hit Rhodes right in the center of his suit. Sending him plummeting to the ground. I tried teleporting but my powers were down, I kept blinking, trying to phase out of the jet. I could feel liquid running down my nose, most likely a nose bleed. I opened and closed my eyes over and over again, hoping and praying I would reach the destination. But, every time my eyes opened I was still inside the jet. 

I watched helplessly from the ship as he made impact, it's almost like I felt the ground shake myself. I could see Tony make it to his body on the ground. I reached my mind as far as I could, trying to read his mind. I felt relief as I reached his mind and Rhodes heartbeat was detected, he wasn't dead. I sank down to the floor, folding my knees to my chest. I wiped the blood from my nose, breathing heavy. My hands were shaking as I held them up in front of my face, all these powers I was given and it was like I couldn't help anyone. 

Even though we were on opposite sides, War Machine, Rhodes, as a part of our team. And this team, all of them, were my family. The only family I ever had. 

My head was pounding, trying to reach that far when I was already drained was taking its toll on me. I saw Steve and Bucky switch seats and Steve was by my side in an instant wrapping his arms around me tightly. Neither of us said anything for a moment, I cried silently into his chest, the sound of the jets engine the only thing from making the ride entirely silent. 

"It'll be okay," Steve said softly, only to me. It sounded like he was trying to convince himself as much as he was trying to convince me. 

"Will it?" I whispered back, my hands still shaking as I went to grab Steve's hand. I watched as his eyes looked down, noticing my state. I watched closely as he noticed the blood stain that was probably left behind from the nose bleed. 

"Oh, Morgan," he said sadly, knowing how I must be feeling. He hugged me even tighter now, realizing I had been trying to teleport out of here. Knowing how I must have felt like I failed him.

"I wanted to save him," I told Steve, crying harder now. "I didn't want this to happen, not to anyone." 

"I know," Steve replied, still holding me tightly. His strength being the only thing holding me together at all. 

"Maybe I should turn myself in, take some heat off the both of you," I said, pulling away from the hug. "Let you both take care of Zemo, I'll be someone for T'Challa to keep his focus on. Someone for Tony to blame."

"No, you know you can't do that," Steve told me, trying to change my mind. "You can't leave us. You can't leave me."

It was then I knew how much he needed me too, how much I was strength. The way he looked at me then, it all made sense. We made the most sense to me then we ever did before. 

We were a team, till then end. 

I knew that I would keep fighting, that all of this shouldn't  be for nothing. We had to stop Zemo from destroying the rest of the world. It was going to end. 

~A/N Hey everyone here's the new chapter. Hope you all enjoyed it!

QOTC: What was your favorite part of this chapter? Let me know your thoughts!

You are all so awesome and I hope you enjoyed it, as always please leave a vote or comment. I read every single one and try to reply. ~