Chapter Forty-One: Finally

I pulled back quickly, looking at him as if I wasn't sure what to say. Bucky gave me a look. I'm sure he didn't mean for me to see that.

I opened my mouth to say something, but he held his finger up, shushing me. I closed my mouth quickly.

"Steve doesn't know yet," Bucky whispered, his eyes darting to Steve at the front of the plane. My own eyes traveled to the front, knowing Steve would want to know this information.

"You have to tell him," I whispered back, trying to keep my voice down.

"I know I do, but I don't think now is the time. And when you were laid up in the hospital it didn't seem like the right time either," Buck reminded me.

"Good point," I muttered, looking back at my husband, who was focused on the route ahead. I felt bad knowing I had to keep this from him. But, this wasn't my secret to tell. "Fine, I'll keep my mouth shut, but you nee to tell him as soon as you think it's the right time."

Bucky nodded, confirming he would tell Steve whenever he felt it was right. But, I was already bursting to tell Steve the information. I knew I would keep Bucky's secret but I wasn't going to like it.

"What are you two whispering about back there?" Steve asked, his voice half joking and half serious.

"Old secrets," I replied, my tone matching his. I stood to my feet and walked towards the front of the plane. "Do you want to see?"

"What did you find out?" he asked me skeptically, obviously not sure if it was good or bad.

"Don't worry it was a happy memory he shared with me," I told Steve, smiling over at Bucky.

This seemed to comfort Steve and he nodded, signaling for me to show him.

STEVE'S POV

I closed my eyes and felt a familiar feeling of comfort as Morgan placed her hand on the side of my forehead. It was as if I melted into her touch.

But then the memory started to form, it was as if jumping into a picture. It was as if I was in the room myself.

I almost gasped as I saw Morgan, her hair was stringy and her eyes were completely defeated. Her normal fiery spark was almost gone. It was haunting. She scratched at the power destabilizer around her neck and I could see her discomfort. I knew I was being shown a memory but my instinct was still to reach out for her.

"Do you think we'll ever get out of here?" she asked Bucky.

"If anyone has a chance, it's you," Bucky answered her, his voice sounding strong and determined as he answered her. I knew he believed in his answer, in her.

"You will too," Morgan assured him, her voice finding it's fierce tone. "What are you thinking about?"

"An old friend," Bucky offered, I instantly knew he was talking about me, it felt weird to see the two of them discussing me.

"Hmm, a friend?" she asked him, I watched as a tug of a smile appeared onto her face. "I don't know if I'm familiar with the concept."

"He was a good friend, the best actually. I grew up with him, he would have done anything for anyone. Especially those who needed help. He was a fighter," Bucky told her, and I felt weird listening to the conversation. They were trapped in a dusty cell and I knew there was no way to go back and change the past for them. "He always knew right from wrong. You would have liked him."

"Someone who knows right from wrong would not know what to do with someone like me," Morgan answered after a moment, and I felt sad for her. I knew that wasn't true. But, I think she is finally understanding that herself now, that she deserved someone good. "Not so sure he would have liked me back."