Chapter Thirty-One: Sob Story

Steve, Tony, and Bucky were all right behind me. Following as we went walked around, looking in the different chambers. All the soldiers with the same bullet wound. I snuck a look at Steve, who looked as confused as I felt.

"Did you really think I wanted more of you?" Zemo's voice spoke once more.

"What the hell?" Bucky asked, his gun aimed and ready.

My hands were glowing their usual blue hue, I was ready to fire at a moments notice.

"I'm grateful to them though," Zemo told us. "They brought you here."

Then a light flashed, Zemo's face illuminated in a small metal container. I instantly tried to get inside his head. I could feel his presence but couldn't touch his mind.

"It is no use Agent. Did you think I would not think of your telepathic skills?" Zemo asked, almost mocking me. "You are powerful, but not impossible."

I stopped reaching, becoming frustrated. Then, Steve threw his shield at the container, it bouncing back instantly. He caught it as it came flying back.

"Please, Captain. The Soviets built this chamber to withstand Ms. Smith, or Mrs. Rogers, my apologies, powers. Do you think your shield could penetrate it?" Zemo said to Steve, a hint of smug smile on his face.

"I'm betting I could beat that," Tony said confidently.

"Mr. Stark," Zemo said. "Even if you could, then you would never know why you came here."

"You killed innocent people in Vienna just to bring us here?" Steve asked him, his voice harsh. He walked right up to the window, face to face with the man who was trying to destroy us. I was right behind him, my hands shaking with anticipation.

"I've thought about nothing else for over a year. I studied you, all of you. I followed you. But, now that you're standing here I just realized there is a bit of green in the blue of your eyes," Zemo finished as he let out a chuckle.

"How nice to find a flaw," he chuckled some more. "Your friend and wife, how easy to find their flaws. But, you, well that was harder. Good to know there is one."

"You're Sokovian," I said, ignoring what he said.

"Is that what this is about?" Steve asked, still staring at the man in front of us.

"Sokovia was a failed state long before you blew it to hell. No. I'm here because I made a promise," Zemo finished.

"You lost someone?" Steve asked him.

"I lost everyone," Zemo said bitterly. Hurt and pain filling his eyes, the first time I saw any emotion from the man. "And so will you."

Zemo's eyes flickered to me. Steve quickly turned to me, standing in front of me. His protective state taking over.

Then the computer beside us started, there was something he had on us. On Bucky and I. The two most important people to Steve.

"An empire toppled by its enemies can rise again. But one which crumbles from within?" Zemo asked.

"That's dead," I finished for him.

"Forever," Zemo added.

My eyes frantically searching for Steve's. I knew what he was getting at. I knew what video was about to play. My eyes went straight to Tony, he didn't need to see this. Whatever sort of sympathy or compassion he had for me, was about to be gone.

My heart pumped faster as Tony walked towards the computer screen. I could feel my heart racing, my hands were shaking as Steve stood even more in front of me, becoming a human barrier between Tony and I.

"What's going on? Smith, you look like you've seen a ghost," Tony said, turning his attention back to the computer screen.

My eyes went to Bucky's now, his own still confused.

"It's the video," I sent in a brain message. I watched as his eyes lit up with clarity on the subject.

The road was the first part to show on the screen.

"I know that road," Tony said, cutting his eyes to Steve. I stayed hidden, like a child behind her mother's skirt.

"What is this?" Tony yelled at Zemo, who looked more pleased than ever. He only stared back in response, obviously wanting the video to do the speaking.

Then I flinched as the car in the video smashed into the tree. I didn't need to keep watching to know what was going to happen, but I also couldn't keep my eyes away.

Steve was stiff as he continued to stand in front of me, his stance not faltering.

Tony leaned in closer as the motorcycle came into view, I held my breathe as the video showed both Bucky and I on the cycle. It is like everything started to move in slow motion.

"Help, my wife," Tony's father begged as he crawled across the ground. I watched helplessly, a tear rolling down my face. Tony's eyes cut dangerously to me. "Please. Help."

"Tony-I," I started, but he held his hand up. The repulser staring at me as he continued to watch the video. Steve reached back grabbing my hand tightly.

The video show Bucky grabbing Howard's hair, pulling his face back. Stark's face lit up with recognition in the video. "Sergeant Barnes?"

I saw as he turned and saw me next to Bucky in the video. "Agent Smith?"

I knew what was going to happen next, the memories flooding in. I watched helplessly as I saw Bucky in the video hit Howard as hard as he could in the face, the man's eyes going blank. I flinched as my past self went to the passenger side and forced choked the life out of my teammates mother.

More tears rolled down my face, I sobbed silently as I watched Tony. I could feel my entire body shaking. This was what I was afraid of. Steve still stood in front of me.

Tony was fuming with anger, it was like I could physically see the anger leaving his body. Then, the video ended with the camera cutting out.

I saw Steve staring at Tony desperately, not wanting him to hurt me or Bucky. Steve knew this wasn't our fault. Tony probably knew deep down it wasn't, but who could blame him?

Tony turned to lunge for Bucky, knowing he wasn't going to get past Steve to me.

"No, Tony," Steve said, grabbing his arm to stop him.

I felt more tears fall as I saw Tony's expression. There was so much pain and suffering in his eyes, and I knew I was responsible for it.

"Did you know?" he asked Steve, hurt in his voice. I knew he felt betrayed. "Did she know? When she joined us? That she did this?"

"Tony-I," I started once more, I knew my words would never be enough. "I didn't know. I only just found out.. I would have never joined if I knew."

His eyes lit up with more anger, my words doing the opposite of what I wanted.

"Did you know?" he asked Steve once more.

"I didn't know it was them," Steve said.

"Don't bullshit me, Rogers. Did you know?" Tony asked, even angrier now.

"Yes," Steve told him, honesty ringing out. Tony stepped back in disbelief, total betrayal in his eyes. They flashed to me once more before going back to Steve.

Then the real fight started.

-A/N I can't believe it's 2018!! Hope everyone has had a great start to their New Year!

QOTC: Anyone excited that there will now be a 5th book???

If you like this chapter please leave your thoughts and the comments and vote -