Death never smiles pt 2

Death never smiles pt. 2

Death does smile

Talking. Reading. Talking. Gaming. Talking. Sexual remarks. That was basically the past two weeks of Ethan's life. Not that he minded – it was actually quite fun. He enjoyed Tyler's company (although he would never admit it) and was always looking forward to him coming home from work. He noticed it first one week ago.

Ethan had closed his books ten minutes ago. "C'mon, Tyler, why are you still not home?" he mumbled, mentally face palming himself. When did he become so dependent on him? He opened the book again and let his eyes wander over the page. But the words didn't reach him. His thoughts kept drifting off to a certain tall, muscular man with brown eyes and curls.

When the door finally opened and he heard the familiar "Hey, I'm back" he could feel a weigh disappear from his heart. "Hey, what took you so long?" Tyler turned his face around and Ethan felt sadness crawl through his whole body. His warm, brown eyes were puffy, there were tearstains on his cheeks and it looked like he was shaking.

Without thinking Ethan jumped out and threw his arms around Tyler's neck. "Ethan – Wha –" "You've been crying," Ethan mumbled, barely audible. He felt Tyler tense in his arms, before feeling two muscular arms pull him closer. His heart skipped a few beats. "Yeah," Tyler's low voice said back softly. "Why?" "Because sometimes...you have to judge people you don't want to."

Tyler slowly pulled away, and Ethan already missed the feeling of being held close. "What do you mean?" the younger boy asked softly. Tyler sighed. "You know...I haven't been doing this work for long...about a year." Ethan grabbed his hand and led him to his bed, signing him to sit down. "Tell everything."

Tyler sighed again, and even if his brown eyes weren't so sad, only the sound of it could break Ethan's heart. "When I was human, I had a family. It was pretty big – I had eight siblings – but my parents tried their hardest to take care of us all. Especially our mother. But now..." He turned away his face to try to wipe away a tear as sneaky as possible but Ethan noticed it. "I have to judge my father," he added with a hoarse throat. Ethan again pulled him into a hug, rubbing his back softly. "But...your father was a good man, wasn't he? You can give him a peaceful death, and a new chance!" Tyler pulled away and bit his lip, and even though it was a critical situation Ethan couldn't help but appreciate his attractiveness. "That's the problem...h-he had an affair."

Tyler's words struck Ethan like lightning. Not because it was the words that hurt him, but the expression that Tyler's usually happy or smug face carried made him look so broken. He wasn't used to this Tyler. To be honest, whenever he thought of Tyler (which was quite a lot), the man was always standing strong, with a smile on his face and making some kind of sexual remark, making them both smile.

Tyler was strong, and funny. Not sad and broken.

"What do you mean he had an affair?" He didn't mean it like that – he understood what an affair was, but it was somehow not clear in his head. "During the marriage, when he said he was working, he went to see another woman. And another. And another. He drank, had a smoking addiction and did drugs. And we were wondering why we earned so less money," he spat. He sounded more angry than sad. But his sorrowful expression returned. "So I have to judge him." He took a breath. "And take away his chance to live again. To be happy in any way. I have to punish him and hurt him for eternity."

Tyler took a deep breath. He let his eyes wander over his father's dead body one more time before closing his eyes. "Begone," he said softly but his eyes shined in fierce determination. The father's body light up quickly and disappeared. Ethan grabbed his hand, smiling a little when he felt the older man intertwine their fingers. "Thank you," he whispered. "For being here. With me." Ethan smiled sadly. "Always."