Happiness is in the air

Ethan stared up at the sky, like he had been doing all day. He watched the colourful balls play around, being moved by the wind. He had his eyes focused on one particular ball – the yellow one. He couldn't wait to feel happy again.

Every single ball held an emotion.

Fear was a purple ball, moving slowly. Once you touched it, everything went black and white. You felt like you were moving slowly and the world was moving faster and faster. Everyone seemed threatening, everything seemed dangerous.

Anger was red, flying with an incredible speed through the sky. Luckily they weren't all that common. Once they came in contact with your skin, you started to hate everything. No one could do something right, and even yourself were horrible. You wanted to destroy anything within your range. You wanted to hurt everyone, as long as it eased the burning feeling within your skin.

Sadness was blue. They just randomly fell down, causing a sickness called "depression" if too many hit you. When one of them touched you, you felt cold from inside. Everything was bad – your perspective of the whole world changed.

Envy and jealousy were green. They were very common and fly around but they were very slow. Whenever you touched one of the green balls, everyone seemed so much better – you wanted everything. Nothing could fulfil your greed.

And happiness is yellow. It was common, but everyone wanted it so sometimes you had to run. They were pleasantly slow – you could catch it easily. It spread a warm feeling from the tips of your toes to your brain. The world was more colourful.

Ethan reached out to the yellow ball. Just as his fingers were about to touch the Happiness, someone bumped into him. "Ouch..." Ethan pushed himself off the ground, grabbing the hand that was offered to him. "Thanks," he mumbled. "Are you ok?" a low voice asked. Ethan nodded, flinching a little. "I'm sorry." Ethan nodded again, it was bound to happen with his clumsiness and everyone was always chasing the Happiness Bubbles. He saw from the corner of his eye a person shine brightly yellow, meaning he had touched the Happiness.

The stranger had treated his hands with an anti-infection and had wrapped them up in bandage. "You're good at this," Ethan commented. "Thank," the stranger replied with the same lack of emotions. "I'm a doctor." "Cool." This was how basic conversations went. No one had something emotional to talk about and the other person didn't have the emotions to reply with them.

"It was nice to talk to you," Ethan said. He didn't mean it – thing like that were never genuine. "Yeah. Want to talk later?" Even though there were no emotions in the two men, they weren't bored talking, so it was "pleasant" to talk.

Ethan had learned that the man, Tyler, wanted a cure for the lack of emotions in these people. He said that he couldn't stand being empty the whole time. Ethan thought about it. Would I be able to feel happy all the time?

Tyler and Ethan met up the next day. It had for both been a while since they weren't bored, so they were quite "happy" they bumped into each other.

They kept hanging out for over a month. Every day they met up and had fun. Even though they didn't realize it yet.

Ethan looked at the older man who was facing him, his mouth stuffed with a sandwich. He rambled happily about how his research went. He had obviously touched a Happiness Bubble or else he wouldn't be glowing in happiness. Ethan felt a strange feeling in his stomach – something he had never felt in a bubble. It made him warm, like happiness. It made him feel weird at the same time, although it wasn't an unpleasant weird. It was also uncomfortable because he didn't know what it was nor how to cure it.