Chapter 21 - Calluado (2)

"I'm sorry, but I won't fight you"

Girax' face retorted for a split second.

"Can I ask you why?"

"I don't like to beat the weak", I said cockily. Well, that wasn't the real reason.

Although I checked his Status and saw his stats were much lower than mine, something was fishy. There were questions marks next to his race, like how I used to have question marks next to my Class.

Girax looked angry but didn't react too much:"Well, I won't push you. Since this matter has been dealt with, I'd like to discuss something else"

"What is it?"

"It's about your rank"

"Oh..", I softly said. I was expecting something worse.

"Since you have beaten those bandits who were all rank A or S and even their leader who's in between S and SS, I've decided I can't let you begin in rank F, since that would be a waste of your potential. Therefore, here are your new Guild cards"

He passed us 2 golden coloured cards.
It had our basic information on it, that we had given to the counter woman, and our rank.

I asked cautiously:"Are you sure this is the right rank?"

Two black S'es were stamped unto the card.

"Yes, these are correctly made"

Just as I was to ask Girax why they made us such a high rank, Ilya tugged my sleeve:
"They want us to own them something"

This girl, can she read my mind?!?

I sighed:"It's like that, huh?"

Girax heard my sigh and asked:"Something wrong?"

"No, just a bit tired. If you'll excuse us, we'd like to look for an inn..."

"Ah yes, of course. Please feel free to ask Uloya about this matter, she knows quite a lot about it"

Uloya should be the counter woman.

"Yes, thank you"

With those words, we left the room and went back to the entrance of the Guild.
Arriving there, a hoard of people was waiting for us to come out and as such, we were stared at by dozens of people.
Ilya swiftly grabbed my hand because she was scared of the big mass of people. This kind of put more fuel on the fire.

Buzzing sounds of people speculating about our relationship filled the surroundings.

"Are they a couple? It's a shame they don't show their faces..."

"They don't seem strong tough? What were their classes again?"

"Look at those swords!! If only I could find someone to protect me as well..."

I evaded most people and headed for the counter where Uloya stood.
She looked at us with a respectful look on her face and bowed:
"I'm sorry for my unprofessional behaviour earlier. I hope you can forgive me"

"Don't bow, it makes me feel uncomfortable. Also, don't mind the small stuff, just talk casually to me, it feels better"

Uloya looked up in disbelief, but didn't really relax:"Thank you for your kindness. If there's anything I can help you with, please say so"

"Ah, then I'll trouble you. We'd like to find a good inn but we have just arrived in the city and don't know where to look..."

"If I may recommend an inn, it would be the Growling Tiger inn. Although it isn't really cheap, their service is great. It's located about 20 minutes East from the Guild, in the residential area. Also, talking about money, here's your compensation for beating those bandits", she gave us a large bag, filled to the brim with coins.

There were large gold coins, smaller silver coins and little bronze coins.

"Well then, we'll take our leave", I said, grasping the bag of coins and quickly pulling Ilya's hand towards the exit.

Once outside, I could finally breath again.
I truly felt like suffocating from all those gazes.

We strolled through the streets, going East. Countless shops filled the bustling streets and Ilya and me looked to them with great interest.
In front of a jewelry shop, Ilya stood looking at some beautiful golden earrings, shaped into a tear with spirals twisting around it.

"You want them?", I asked with a smile on my face.

Ilya looked upwards and nodded.

"Then we'll buy them"

Pulling Ilya with me, we headed into the shop.
It wasn't a big one, but it was really clean with all sorts of decorations floating above pedestals.

We walked towards the counter where a tall elf-woman stood.
She had long, blonde hair reaching her hips and pointed ears.
Her eyes were a greyish-silver colour and she had a well-defined figure.
She was really beautiful, but I didn't feel attracted towards her.

"How can I help you?", she said with a soft voice.

"We'd like to buy the earrings on display, the golden ones"

"Ah, you truly have a good eye", she said smilingly

Ow sh*t, I thought, good in a shop is mostly expensive.

"These golden earrings are made using golden scales from a Great Dragon and the tears of a nimf.
Because of that, it has the ability to strengthen magic.
It's truly one of the masterpieces in our shop. It's purchase price is 270 Gold coins"

Yep, expensive as hell. When I put our reward money in my Item Storage, the counter showed 281 Gold coins.
Luckily, the money from the dungeon was the same currency, which makes us incredibly rich: 2.701.517 Gold coins.
In the Library of the mansion in the dungeon, I found a book with the average wages of any sort of profession.
A normal adventurer earns about 2 Gold coins a year, a smith 1, a tailor 1, even a noble only earns about 102 Gold coins a year.

Therefore, spending 270 Gold coins for a pair of earrings was something most of the population would think of as a rip-off.
But I also looked forward to see Ilya with these earrings.

"Deal", I said.

The elf looked a bit shocked when she saw me answer so willingly, but rapidly reassumed her professional behaviour:"That's great. Would you like to fit them before you purchase them?", she asked and walked towards the front of the shop to get the earrings.

"No, that's alright. Only, how do you wear them?"

"When pouring in a little mana, the earring will resonate with your mana waves and float underneath your ear"

"I see. Here you are", I said when I passed her the massive amount of money.

"Thank you very much", she said and she did a quick count of the money I gave her.
"Enjoy your purchase!"
Her voice sounded happy when she passed me a box with the earrings inside.

"See you", I answered, grabbing the box in one hand and Ilya's hand in the other.

Just as we were about to leave, a young man and several servants entered the shop.
The man had long, silver hair and wore a flashy sword in the same colour on his waist.

I felt like I had seen him before, but I didn't care and quickly left the store with Ilya.

The man turned around as to say something, but was greeted only with the sound of a door shutting.