Chapter 55 - Sunrise

Hello everyone!!

It's le me again, this time with a brand-new upload!

I kind of decided on an upload schedule of one chapter a week, and I truly hope I'll be able to keep this pace in the future. This chapter should actually be the chapter of last week (sorry for the late upload, loads of things happened), while the next one is an extra chapter to celebrate our 300k reads!! Thanks for the support everyone!!

Anyways, hope you'll enjoy!!

PS. Please give me some feedback on whether or not you like these kind of chapters. If the response isn't too positive, I'll try to limit these kind of chapters (though sometimes they're necessary for the plot (I do kind of have one, I guess))

Thanks!!! Love y'all!!!

__________________________

I looked at the orange-and-yellowish color of the sky. The soft light that fell on my face was invisible to others, but to me, it felt as if a shower of tranquility fell over me.

I hadn't slept as thoughts of last evening haunted me. I didn't know how I should react or if I should even show any reaction at all. Sarah's words had left me thinking.

"Toru, are you alright?"

A soft voice came from behind me. I didn't look back, nor did I react when Ilya leaned against my side.

For a while, we just stood in silence, watching the sky turn brighter and brighter.

"Ilya"

"Yes"

"I don't know what to do"

Unlike her immediate answer at first, did Ilya seem to hesitate to say anything.

"Could you tell me what it is you don't know what to do about?"

"It's just..."

I didn't know how to say how I felt.

"I spoke with my classmate tonight and she made me think... Am I really doing what I should do? Do I really have the right to take revenge on my classmates? Shouldn't we just leave everything be and live in Edhen, in peace? But if we do, can I protect everyone who lives in Edhen? Will they be happy with someone like me as their ruler? Am I in the right to join a war I actually don't have to join?"

My voice became hoarse.

"I don't know what to do anymore... Everyone was supposed to hate me, but I looked in her eyes..."

I looked at Ilya.

"I looked in her eyes, Ilya. I didn't see hatred nor loathing. The only thing I saw was hope, determination and sadness"

The sunlight shone on us brightly.

"If I can't even trust my own thoughts, how can I trust my own judgement?"

I was angry. Angry and desperate as I didn't know how I should feel. How I should live. What I should think or do.

"Tell me, Ilya"

I turned to the only tangible source that might contain a solution.

"Tell me, Ilya. Please"

"Tell me please"

My voice died down. I looked at the ground.

Slowly, the encampment, which was a couple of tens of meters away from us, came to life.

Sound began to fill the area.

Ilya hugged me and looked at my face.

"Toru. I don't know if what you're doing or what you will do in the future is the right thing. I don't know whether you should hate your classmates or not. I don't know if we should participate in this war. I don't know. I can only say, that up until now, with every decision you've made, I had fun. I met you. I met Maria. I made friends with Aristasia and Hiruyis. I fought together with you and watched you fight by yourself. I almost lost you. Yet, you're still here. And so am I.

I can't decide what you have to do, nor what you should do. I don't know what the future will bring. But I know, that I will stay with you. And if you get in trouble, if you have it hard, or if you make the most stupid choices you could possibly make, I'll do my utmost best to help you.

And if you're having troubles deciding what to do... think about us and consider what should be best to those you love and care about. That's all I can say"

Ilya laid her head on my chest. I felt my sadness and anxiety wash away. Ilya's words... I felt at home.

"Thank you"

I said softly as I hugged her back.

We stood there for a while, hugging each other in silence.

Suddenly, Ilya spoke up again with a slight giggle.

"Hey, Toru"

"Yeah?"

"You know what Maria thinks you are?"

I smiled.

"I don't know"

"She says you're the cutest papa bear she has ever met"

I laughed.

"Papa bear? Really?"

"Yeah, really"

Ilya fell silent for a moment again, but she was noticeably in a better mood.

"We missed you, you know. Tonight. You should let us know if you won't come back for the night"

"I'm sorry. I will from now on"

"Hmmph!"

Ilya growled playfully as she softly hit my stomach and let go of me.

"You'd better! Or I won't be responsible for the consequences!"

"The consequences?"

"You don't want to mess with Lala"

Ilya winked.

"Maria says Lala is as strong as you are"

I laughed and grabbed Ilya's hand as we walked back to the camp.

***************

"I sincerely wish you the best of luck, sir Toru. May you come back victoriously."

Commander Gire saw us off, together with the rest of the encampment.

"Thank you, Commander. Don't worry."

I started to channel my Space Magic.

The formation lit up brightly, and I said my last words of goodbye before teleporting us away.

"We will"

Then, with a bright flash, five people disappeared into nothingness.