Chapter 25- Maria

The moment Ilya and I arrived at the scene, the Duke was going to slap the little girl.

How could I stand idle and do nothing?

It's not like I'm a pacifist, but I have two rules: you only hit women when they try to kill you and you NEVER hit children, no matter what they've done.

There're plenty of other ways to reprimand them that don't use violence.

That's why I was extremely angered.

I shot out at maximum speed and gripped the Duke's wrist.

"Do you have the guts... to hit that girl?", I whispered in his ears.

I could feel he was suddenly really tense and he started to tremble, but I didn't care.

"I only have three very important rules about children.

Rule number one: never hit children.

Rule number two: never insult children.

Rule number three: never insult demi-humans.

These are very simple rules, but unfortunately, you ignored all of them.

Therefore..."

CRACK!!!!

I used a bit of strength and forcefully shattered the bone in his wrist.

"Sinners must be punished"

"AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!"

The Duke's scream was really loud, but also extremely annoying, so I made a chopping movement with my hand on the Duke's neck whereby he fell unconscious.

I let go of his broken wrist and the Duke fell down in a pitiful heap on the floor.

When I looked around me, I saw everyone looking at me extremely shocked. All shouting and whispers had quieted down because of my ruthless actions. I ignored them and squatted in front of the little girl. Ilya stood next to me. She had stopped crying, but her teary eyes looked at me in a strange way.

I decided to use Vampiric language to speak to the girl since I didn't want everyone single person around me to know what I said.

"Little girl, are you hurt?"

The girl looked at me in surprise, but answered in a really quiet voice:

"I'm Maria... Who are you?"

"My name's Toru. The girl next to me with the hood is Ilya"

"Are you Mommy and Daddy?"

"Mommy and Daddy?"

"Yes, the old woman said my Mommy and Daddy would be really, really nice to me and protect me and also speak vampire language"

"I'm so-"

"Yes, that's right. I'm Mommy and this is Daddy", Ilya interrupted me.

I turned my head in disbelief to Ilya, but Maria was already smiling extremely brightly and started to exclaim: "I knew it! Old woman said my Daddy and Mommy didn't love me and abandoned me, but she was wrong!"

Maria suddenly started to giggle and all surrounding people started to whisper once again.

"Maria... this Old woman you speak of... who is she?", I asked.

"She's the woman who put this thing on me", she said while pointing at the slave seal on her chest.

"I see. Could you show us where she lives?"