Chapter 48 - Myhn

Chapter 2/2 (2 weeks ago) (2 chapters in queue) 

We crossed the 25k view milestone!!! Extra long chapter to celebrate!! Thank you everyone for your support  (≧∇≦)/ 30k is in sight!!

Enjoy the way-too-late-cos-I'm-lazy-af-chapter !!

____________

I don't understand, but everyone looks at me with an annoying look in their eyes. Pity. Compassion. Haughtiness. Disgust. 

That's why I dislike people. And people dislike me. Even the orphanage matron at the orphanage where I live would rather see me leave. 

I don't have anyone to rely on, but that doesn't bother me. Whenever I sneak out of the orphanage, I see how despicable and ugly humans are. And not just humans. Beastmen, elves, no matter what race they are, everyone just cares for themselves and the things they deem important. I, a child, could even tell that. So I planned on living in the backwoods, far away from anyone and just quietly pass my days. 

******

I ran away from the ophanage. I could finally realize my dream. But quickly, I was confronted by reality. I couldn't live close to the city, or I'd need to buy a piece of land, but I had no money. But I had insufficient strength to survive in the further parts of the world. 

I needed to become stronger. But for that, I needed time. Time where I needed to stay in the city and find a job to pay for a place to sleep and food.

I had no choice. But I also had no experience in working. Even the only skill I had, [Shadow Blend], I got through sneaking in and out both the orphanage and the city for several years. 

After thinking for a while, I realized the only job I could do was something illegal, where I could utilize my Skill and get stronger at the same time.

******

"What're you doing here kid?"

'Annoying'.

That's the thought that came to mind when I saw the three scrawny, unwashed henchmen blocking the road in front of me. Though this was exactly what I wanted, it was still unpleasant.

It was actually really easy to find an illegal job. One just needed to go through the slums of the city at night, and a few henchmen will appear for sure. 

'But these are too weak... I want a well-paid job, so I'm looking for someone with more power...'

Quietly, I activated [Shadow Blend]. My body quickly became one with the many shadows on the street. Even the moonlight shining upon my body bended around me, letting me completely disappear without a trace, even though I didn't move at all.

"Where'd the kid go??!!"

"Don' know, we gon' search for 'er, or not?"

"Of course, the Boss wants some new recruits! If we find her and bring her to Boss, we might even get promoted!"

'Stupid'

I had absolute trust in my Skill. It had already saved me many times, and I was also accustomed to it. Mere henchmen like these had no chance of ever discovering me if I didn't want them to.

On the tips of my toes, I quietly passed the three frantically-searching imbeciles and was going to head on when a feeling of danger suddenly came up to me. In a reflex, I jumped sideways, but an impact, much bigger than I expected hit me, and hurled me several meters away. 

I barely managed to balance myself mid-air before I heavily landed on the ground. I was able to undo most of the shock with a roll, but it still hurt a lot.