Chapter 60 - Second (II)

Chapter from like a frickillion years ago. Hope you enjoy!!

Grim Reaper Discord server: https://discord.gg/jM3Qk64

Isekai stories Discord server: https://discord.gg/J9UuXVs

(server where authors and readers of "transported to another world" stories gather)

___________________

Leitch's POV:

"I'm here to kiiiiiillll yooouuuu!!!"

Following their words and crazy laughter, they put their hand inside their mouths, rummaging around like you would inside a bag.

After a couple of seconds, multi-colored balls appeared in their unhealthy-blue hands. With a slight flick, the small objects flew in all directions towards our army. They were so small they seemed like they were meant as a joke.

*snap*

BBOOOOOOOOOMMMMMMMMM!!!!!!

All hell broke loose. The balls, which didn't seem like they could hurt anyone exploded which such force it felt as if my ribs pressed through my back.

Once again I was blown away. Terrified screams filled the smoke-filled sky. The many colors looked like they were mocking us.

"HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!"

Even above the tremendously loud explosions could I hear the androgynous chortle, resounding as if declaring their victory.

"AAAHHH!!!"

"Help!! Please help!!!"

"I'm dying!! I'm dying!!"

Fires broke out everywhere, and wounded humans who fell to the ground were ruthlessly slaughtered.

This... How...?

I froze. It was all too sudden. The amount of victims during these past minute were probably about as much as the ones of the past five weeks together.

But I couldn't let everyone die like that. Before I could even move again, I shouted:

"Get back!! Retreat now!! All mages behind the warriors with high defense! Carry the wounded to the back first!!"

I ran back, trying to evacuate as many as possible while holding off the demons.

Shit! This won't last! I got to-

BBBOOOOOOOOMMMMMMM!!!!

"Uu?"

Without realizing what happened, I made a sound. Suddenly, everything in front of my eyes had vanished. The demons, wildly growing plants, broken swords and lances... Only humans were left in the area.

A voice came from my back.

"Hey you, where's the demon commander?"

I turned around. Dark clothing underneath a ruffled cloak. And a terrifying blackness where their head should be.

I opened my mouth to answer.

BBBBRRR!!

But I couldn't. The moment they laid their eyes upon me, I was scared. Terrified. I felt a fear bigger than anything I had ever felt. Their gaze, although invisible, was almost tangible present.

My legs couldn't hold me anymore as a heavy pressure pushed me to the ground.

I was going to get killed. I was certain. This person... wanted me dead. Seconds passed, but they didn't shift their gaze. It was piercing me, causing me even physical pain.

"HEYHEYHEYHEYHEY!!!!"

An enormous shout drove apart the tense situation around us, but the person didn't even give the androgynous demon a glance.

"HEY!!!! I'M TALKING TO YOU, YOU BASTARD!!"

Without warning, a ghastly stream of grey light burst through the air.

"Quiet"

Without even moving, a wave, incomparably stronger than the grey light, headed towards the demon. Breaking apart their attack, it reached the demon's neck without them being able to react. The androgynous demon vanished. Not a single trace of them was left behind.

Yet, even in this exchange of powers far beyond what I could comprehend, the hooded person in front of me didn't stop watching me. Not even the killing intent that I thought was directed at the demon diminished.

Who is this?! How can someone be this terrifying?!

The pressure which held me down suddenly disappeared. Powerlessly, I collapsed. Before I fainted, I could see the back of the hooded person leaving.

____________________

"... think-... they went t-..."

"Eas-... Several of the-..."

"... Way too strong-..."

As I was still not entirely conscious, I heard the conversation around me in bits and pieces. After a while, blinking heavily, I woke up again.

"Nnn!"

A heavy headache struck me suddenly. I clutched my head in my hands.

"Leitch! You're awake!"

A familiar voice entered my ears. I managed to look up from the half-sitting, half-laying-down position I was in and looked into Arii's dark eyes. Her hair was messier and small bags had appeared underneath her eyes since we came to this world, but to me she looked more charming than ever. It was the first time in many years that I saw her looking like a girl instead of the woman she always pretended to be.

Her dad beat her in the past, and her mother was a drug-addict. She had a really hard time growing up before she was placed in a foster family. I still remember that the first time we met, on the small playground near my house, she seemed serious and indifferent to others. It was only after many years of being together that I learned of her past. It was only now, where no one cared about how she carried herself if she just worked hard, that she could finally be the girl she always was at heart but could never show.

Arii curled the corners of her mouth up into an innocent smile, one that she hadn't been able to show on Earth.

"I'm awake"

I smiled back. Looking behind her, I saw the tall figures of Luhan and Ono. The musclebrains they were, they liked fighting a lot, but still depended on me to say what they had to do. Yet, unlike before, they also seemed to have developed some kind of insight, as they sometimes acted on their own accord in battles.

Seeing how neither Arii nor the two men spoke, I asked.

"What's wrong? Why are you so quiet?"

Arii looked at her feet.

"It's the guy who came to save our troops. The one who knocked you out"

"What's up with them?"

"Well..."

Arii looked at Luhan and Ono for support, but quickly locked eyes with me again.

"He left but came back with others. There are four of them. Yet, none of them have done anything. They just stand in the middle of the camp, talking with each other. The only thing they've said to us since they arrived was..."

Arii gulped.

"They wanted to talk to us four. All four at once"