Chapter 11

Chapter 11

Of course.  Of course Nico turns out to be my brother.  What else?   I mean, cool, I finally have a sibling, but I’m pretty sure siblings don’t try to kill each other. 

 It was 7 hours back to Camp Half-Blood, and we passed the time pretty quickly just messing around.  Percy told me stories of what had happened in the past couple years.  Needless to say, I learned about the Titan War and Percy’s frenemy Luke.  The whole stopping the war with Gaea, the earth goddess.  Percy summarized a traumatic experience he’d had a few months ago in one sentence.  “Tartarus is the worst place you’ll ever be, never even think about what its’ like.” 

 I kind of just assured him that I wouldn’t, and to kill the silence, I turned on the radio.  A song called Icarus was on, and Percy laughed when it went into the chorus. 

 “What?”  I laughed.  “I know Icarus’s father.”   

“Woah, hold up.  You know the Daedulus?  Like the one that built The Labyrinth?”  

“Yeah.  I watched him destroy it.”  

“Destroy what?” 

 “The Labyrinth.”  He responded, eyes still on the road.  I just stared at him.  How could someone who’s barely an adult have done so much?  It amazed me that Percy was as powerful as he was, and had been through so much, yet still remained light-hearted.

 “So, um, how did you meet Nico? Sounds like you’ve known him for a while.”  

Percy sighed. “I still don’t understand Nico.  He’s probably the same age as you, only he actually is like 70 or 80.” 

 “How is that possible?”  

“Long story.  Anyway, Annabeth, Thalia and I went to get him and his sister Bianca.  We went on a quest to save Annabeth and Artemis, and Bianca came along.  Nico stayed at camp, and he made me promise to keep Bianca safe.  He was only 12.” 

 “What happened?”  I asked softly, because I could tell by the way Percy’s jaw clenched that he really didn’t like this subject.

 “Bianca died.  I had to be the one to tell Nico, and he flipped out, told me I broke the promise.  These skeletons tried to attack me, so I shielded Nico, but he opened a hole in the earth that swallowed the skeletons. Then he ran off.”  

“So, that’s how you figured out his dad was Hades?”  I summarized. 

 He nodded.  “He lived on the Styx for a while, kind of hating everyone.  He tried to bring Bianca back, but she told him she was meant to be dead.  Nico didn’t take that well.  He still said he hated me.”  

“If he hates you, why do you speak so highly of him?”  “He kind of saved my life by helping me come invincible.” 

 “You mean, that story about you becoming invincible was Nico’s idea?”