Chapter 16

Chapter 16

Once again, I woke up.  And I was not happy about it. 

The only reason I did wake up was because my internal alarm clock went off.  Since we were in a bunker, you couldn’t see the light shining through the curtains or anything like that. 

Leo began to stretch, and I immediately got up.  He looked at me with that sleepy face some people get when they wake up. 

“Buenos dias.”  I take French.  “What?” 

“Digo, buenos días. ¿Por qué estamos todavía aquí?” 

I’m pretty sure he was playing.  But after that little sentence in a foreign language, I wasn’t so sure.  “Leo. What?  I don’t speak Spanish.” 

He looked at me, puzzled, before smiling and yawning.  “Sorry.  Usually i speak in my first language when I wake up.” 

Okay then.  “Were we here all night?” I yawned, stretching out. 

“Seems so,”  He scratched his head.  “You kind of, fell asleep on me, so I um, just went to sleep and apparently I had to lay down.” 

My cheeks felt hot.  I took a sudden interest to the tips of my hair.  “We should probably get to breakfast.”  I suggested. 

I could’ve swore I saw Leo’s shoulders sink, but he nodded and grabbed my hand, swinging it playfully.  “Let’s hit it.” 

We locked up the bunker and walked through the woods, but I guess we’re both awkward people, because there wasn’t much talking. I honestly loved spending time with Leo.  I’ve never actually hung out with a guy for this long.  It was kind of weird.  I mean, I felt like I was doing everything wrong.  But there has to be a first time for everything, right? 

We walked into the dining pavilion while it was in full swing.  Every person from every cabin had decided to wake up at the same time, I guess.  I think Leo sensed my discomfort with so many people. 

He put his hand on my shoulder and squeezed.  “Have fun with your daily death schedule.”  We had this thing where he associates almost everything he can with death.  Only around me, because he knows I can take a joke about being the daughter of Hades. 

I smiled at him before taking my seat at the Hades table. 

Surprisingly, Nico was there. He looked up at me as I came in, then watched Leo walk over to the Hephaestus table.  “Were you guys together all night?  I noticed you weren’t in the cabin seeing we’re the only two in there.” He sounded hostile and guarded.

  I felt like exploding.  I stood up, pushing the table a couple inches. It wouldn’t have been a big deal if it wasn’t for the fact that the table screeched so loud all the heads in the pavilion turned towards me. 

I grabbed Nico’s arm, not really caring if I left fingerprint marks.  He looked like he wanted to send me to give dear old Dad a visit, but in Nico terms from what I know of him, he was keeping his cool.   I marched down the circle of cabins with Nico in tow. 

“What in Hades did you do that for?”  He demanded.

I spun around.  I was so angry i could see my vision turning red.  “You want to know what I did that for, do you?”  I laughed like a crazy person.  “Let’s see, my mother doesn’t want to speak to me, my dad is vacationing when he knows what’s happening to me, and my biological father?”  I shook my head. “Doesn’t even care enough to actually talk to me.” 

Nico opened his mouth to speak but I cut him off. 

“In fact, I’m pretty sure I just got the news I had a brother! Isn’t that wonderful?”  I glared at Nico.  “We seem to already be the best of friends!”  I sneered, my voice dripping with sarcasm.