Chapter 29

Chapter 29

Under different circumstances, I would have sat there all day.  

However, and unfortunately, I was still on a quest presumably to my death.  

Leo’s lips tasted smoky.  Not that I didn’t expect that. My ears were ringing, and I don’t think it was because we’re underwater.  

I was the one that finally pulled away.  My face was probably as red as a tomato.  I opened my mouth to speak, pulled Leo silenced me with a laugh.  

“You don’t have to look so surprised!” 

 I found myself cracking a smile, and before I could back down, I leaned forward and kissed him again.  This one was a lot shorter than the first one, but the same feeling nonetheless.  

I put my arms around his waist, attempting to help him up.  He appeared to still be recovering, but he was on his feet with a grimace.  

I supported him as he limped forward, and Percy, Annabeth, and Nico appeared.  By the look on their faces, they hadn’t been far away by any means.  

Annabeth gave me a pointed look.  I gave her a cheesy smile.  Nico clapped his hands together.  

“Okay, so are we ready to leave?  ‘Cuz I sure am.”  

“Somebody’s... cheerful.”  I finished.  

Nico shrugged.  “I feel super.  Let’s get this show on the road.”  

I glanced at Percy, who met my eyes with a strange look, but I shrugged and grabbed Nico’s hand.  

“I’m ready.  Are we actually hitting land this time?”  

Nico nodded.  “If I’m thinking correctly, the nearest place would be Morocco.”  

Leo pumped his fist in the air.  “Hell yeah! I’ve always wanted to go somewhere foreign.”  

Annabeth gave him a strange look.  “You were literally in the Mediterranean less than a year ago.”  

“Who cares?  I’ve never been to Morocco!”  

Annabeth rolled her eyes and grabbed Percy’s hand.  Leo clasped on to mine, and I looked at him.  He had a weird light in his eyes, one that I hadn’t seen before.  They shone.  

“Take it away, Death Breath.”  Leo announced. 

 Nico shot him a glare.  “I told you not to call me that,”  He hissed through gritted teeth.  For some reason, the confrontation was funny, so I laughed.  Nico turned to me.  

“I don’t think I’ve ever heard you laugh that hard.”  

I looked him dead in the eye and tried to hide my smile.  “I’m just a serious woman.”  

On the last word, I couldn’t hold it in any longer.  I burst into laughter.  My laugh made even Nico crack a smile.  

“Okay, okay, let’s go before I can’t concentrate.”  

I closed my eyes.  I may be a child of Hades, but I honestly hated the feeling that shadow-traveling gave off.  I wonder if Nico finds it pleasant.  He got more of the death end of the stick. 

 I guess I must have tensed up or something, because Leo squeezed my hand in reassurance.  A whisper of a smile passed over my lips.  Leo and I were just kind of really sudden.  

I’d never really been in a serious relationship before.  I didn’t think Leo and I were dating yet, but I think we’re getting there.  

An unpleasant thought came to mind.  What happens when we get to Calypso’s island?  Would Leo forget about me and go off with the girl he vowed to come back for?